Chapter 18: An Arrangement Of Sorts

Chapter 18: An Arrangement Of Sorts

The Study, The Accardi Estate, Verdicci, Sicily, Italy....

      A silent carriage ride had been the only thing that Athan Accardi had taken note of as Vincenzo sat with his face toward the outside of the carriage as if he wished to have looked upon anything aside from the utter disgrace his younger brother had become in the wake of finding him naked and in bed with his cock plunged deep inside the pale arse of his so called best friend, Edmond Reeves. Athan had been afraid for Edmond and what Vincenzo might do to him just to get back at him as he sat trying his best to ponder what his father and brother had in store for him now that they had been well aware of his pleasure-seeking indulgences and various dalliances with younger men. He had never brought himself to stoop so low as to enlighten his father as to the true reason for his indulgences, the distinct shame of having been subjected to them as he grew with age. For he knew it would put the memories of his dearly departed mother in a poor light so he resolved himself to shoulder the blame of his father's discontent alone. Vincenzo had known all too well that had it not been for the wretched priest, neither of them would have been prone to such dark and unseemly urges but he had the presence of mind to hide his dealings where Athan had brazenly sought to indulge them out in the open. 

When the carriage had pulled up to the estate, both Athan and Vincenzo climbed out of it, not at all speaking to one another since the encounter in the hotel, not that they had much to say otherwise despite the rift between them and the silence, the seemingly ever brooding elder Accardi escorted his wayward younger brother toward their father's study knowing all too well that the lad would be in for a rather unpleasant surprise once he'd been inside and there would be no turning back. 

Much to Vincenzo's surprise and delight, Athan had seemed to resign himself to his chosen fate and had not put up much fuss as he escorted him. It had been something of a brisk walk amid the vast corridors but they finally reached Sergio's study and once inside a rather anxious Athan stood awaiting his fate as his elder brother Vincenzo stood with his arms folded across his chest and a stern expression filed across his handsome bearded face. He had known what was coming, it had been his brilliant plan after all. 

Athan had come to terms with whatever his father had to say to him, but he had still dreaded it all the more the longer he had waited in the unregistered silence of his father's study. It had finally come to an end when a visibly aged Sergio Accardi made his way inside the room with a stern expression filed across his face as his dark brown eyes met those of his elder son Vincenzo who had taken the hint and walked outside leaving his father and younger brother to discuss what must be done about his recent transgressions alone. 

The younger Accardi sensed this being a matter of great importance if his elder brother hand been so casually dismissed by his father and the door was shut behind him. Still he moved to show his father respect and greeted him warmly. 

"Good day to you father," said Athan "You are looking to be doing quite well."

Sergio said nothing as he moved toward his desk and chair, his stern expression never wavering as he sat aged and exhausted in the wake of all that he had endured thus far in his long life. Athan had known all too well that he'd aged considerably since the deaths of his mother Antoni and their younger sister Lisbette. 

Athan watched in silence as his father looked him over with what could only be described as bitter disappointment behind his dark eyes.

"Athanasius." began Sergio in rather broken English. 

From the moment his father spoke his true first name Athan knew he'd been in a world of trouble due to his recent actions. And the fact that his father elected to speak in English while being a proud Italian and loving the language above any other proved that what he was going to tell him was extremely confidential. 

"You have proven to be much more troublesome in your later years than ever you have been when you'd been a lad." continued Sergio. "I have loved you from the very moment you were born and watched as you grew into a rather curious but stable young man but it is clear to me that I have failed you in someway since the tragic passing of your dearly departed mother...my only aspect of comfort in this humiliating shadow you have cast over our honorable house with your various inclination to engage in debauchery is that she isn't here to witness this scandal nor the recompense, in which I am about to demand of you."

Sergio's words had cut through the now deflated and sorrowful Athan like a hot knife through fresh butter as he stood in silence hearing the hollowing words of disappointment and shame fall from the lips of his dearly loved father. 

"You will be sent to oversee the Isle of Cantilena as the first true Count in quite a number of years, you will not return to Verdicci and will live out the remainder of your life there far from my line of sight and away from the scandal you have caused." decreed Sergio. 

The expression on handsome young Athan's face turned to pure agony as he realized he was once more being sent away, but this time for good and to the Isle of Cantelina no less to play the role of Count on his father demand. He would never again see his Edmond and indulge in all the pleasures Verdicci, his birthplace,  his home had to offer. 

Feeling as if the walls were closing in on him, Athan was moved to tears and disruption. 

"Papa..." he began only to be cut off from his father hand being raised in the air as a means of silencing him at once. 

"To make up for the harm you have caused our family's honor you will wed the woman of my choosing and you will both live on the Isle Of Cantilena for the remainder of your days, should you have children I will welcome them as an extension of my bloodline, but you my wayward young son will never venture to Verdicci ever again." decreed Sergio for the last time before waving his hand and dismissing his youngest son whom he had no wish to look upon with all the scandal he'd brought to his name and house. 

Having little to no choice about the way his life had turned out following his father's decree, Athan dutifully accepted his fate and stood in silence as Sergio turned away from him, shamed to see his face, the face that had looked so much like his late wife's. 

"I know you do not wish to hear of it, but I am sorry for bringing you shame and disappointment father." he said with sorrow filled words. "And if this is to be my way to attone, so be it, as you wish father."

Athan parted from Sergio who's back was still turned to him with utter sadness behind his eyes as he stepped out of his father's study and into the greater corridor. He knew not when he'd be shipped off never to see his homeland again but he had made up his mind to enjoy what little time he had left and to find a way to make up for his folly in displeasing his father even if it meant he'd be forced to give up his love for Edmond Reeves and marry whomever his father so chose for him before being shipped off to the Isle of Cantilena.