Chapter 1: Of Fathers And Sons

The Spare Bedroom, The Accardi Estate, Verdicci, Sicily, Italy, September 2nd, 1641...

      Swelling waves given to froth and speed as they battered the cliffside of Gory Beach the lower coastal lands of Verdicci and home to The well-known Accardi family, Italian nobility with a good deal of wealth and connections the world over despite their lack of interest in doing much business outside of Italy. It had been the chosen home of the newest addition to The Accardi bloodline in the form of a second-born son, amid the coming of a storm as the sweat-drenched wife of Governor Sergio Accardi welcomed another child into the world. His eldest son, a bright and curious six-year-old lad named Vincenzo Accardi had been waiting patiently with bated breath for news of the new sibling that would grace the elegant halls alongside him.

Sergio had been drunk off wine as he paced back and forth about the halls waiting for word on what would become of his new son. He had been quite sure it was a son, given how he had boasted entirely about proudly creating him. Vincenzo had not been much in the cap of having a sister as most of his schoolmates had a sister and they had been relatively useless as far as anyone had been concerned.

The rather curious lad paced back and forth right along with his father before the door to the bedroom opened and the rather hurried midwives pulled Sergio into the bedroom and bid that he greet his newborn child.

Sergio's voice rang out just as the door closed giving rest to the matter of what kind of child had been born for Vincenzo's curious ears.

"È UN RAGAZZO!" he shouted happily as he cradled his newborn son. "UN BAMBINO STREPITOSO!"

The six-year-old had stopped in his tracks, the wooden toy sword he had held since before his baby brother was born had slipped from his little fingers. He had at last gotten a baby brother, something he'd been praying for when his parents had not been aware of it.

He had no idea what to do with a sister, but with a baby brother, he could take on the world and share any and everything with him. He knew better than anyone how to be a boy and he'd been excited to teach his younger brother how to anything and everything.

Young Vincenzo had been so caught up in his imagined adventures with the new addition to the Accardi family that he had not noticed when his father had walked out of the room cradling the small baby boy swaddled to perfection as the older Accardi moved to introduce him to his elder brother.

"Vincenzo," said Sergio getting his elder son's attention.

Young Vincenzo moved toward his father stepping lightly and carefully so as not to startle the baby or risk upsetting his father as he sought to get a look at his baby brother for the very first time.

"Vincenzo, questo è Athan, il tuo fratellino." said Sergio Accardi in a rather proud tone. He had been doubly proud given that he'd sired two sons with his lovely wife who would go on to carry the Accardi name far beyond anything he could have ever dreamed of when he had become Governor of Verdicci. "Stai attento a lui e guidalo di conseguenza, dopo tutto sei suo fratello maggiore e ti affido il suo benessere."

Vincenzo nodded as he looked into the deep brown eyes of his tiny pale younger brother amid the mess of pinked flesh and raven hair that had been a source of a good deal of heartburn for his mother during her months of pregnancy.

The six-year-old reached out his hand and to his surprise his baby brother had grabbed for it treating him to a small smile in the wake of their first meeting.

"È un piacere conoscerti, Athan." said young Vincenzo with a smile of his own.

Sergio Accardi could not have been any happier as he looked upon his two sons. The possibilities for them and the future of their bloodline seemed to have been endless so long as they had each other.

"Vedi, il piccolo Athan è davvero un incantatore." said Sergio with a warm smile as he looked down at his newest son. "Un vero Accardi in tutto e per tutto."

Vincenzo seemed to be in agreement as he turned his attention to his baby brother. He'd been a ball of pale flesh and raven hair but he'd been alive and in one piece. It was all anyone could ever ask for when it came down to it.

Sergio held Athan close to him smiling like never before as he held his second-born son.

""Voi, miei giovani figli, siete il futuro della nostra prestigiosa stirpe Accardi, insieme sarete una forza da non sottovalutare e il mondo tremerà ai vostri piedi." said Sergio as he moved back toward the balcony he'd been so fond of visiting when the weather had cleared. He stood proud and quite happy with baby Athan in his arms and young Vincenzo at his knee. ""Voi, miei giovani figli, siete il futuro della nostra prestigiosa stirpe Accardi, e insieme sarete una forza da non sottovalutare e il mondo tremerà ai vostri piedi."

Young Vincenzo had seemed to agree with every word he had said while Athan simply closed his little eyes lulled to sleep by the rumble of thunder from the storm that had taken place outside signaling for all the world that he'd come into it in the midst of a grand spectacle.

Sergio smiled as he moved to carry baby Athan back to his wife so that he might be able to rest. As he walked away amid the flashes of lightning and the rumbling of thunder, young Vincenzo had stood gazing out the window at the falling rain considering his father's words.

He had not known why he and Athan would be a force of some sort but it seemed to have made the old man proud to envision it and so it too made young Vincenzo just as proud that he'd one day take on the world with his new baby brother Athan at his side.

Just as their father had intended.