T W E N T Y T H R E E

Start from the beginning

"No, what if something happens to you then what about me?" I asked again, trying to be more clear.

"Do you have so little faith in me and my skills?" Lucas inquired, a touch of amusement in his voice, as I finally turned to face him.

"Don't play with words. How will I go on without you? Why is it always about you? You're not allowed to die. Never," I ranted, my emotions going up and down every passing moment.

Lucas held my chin firmly and looked straight into my eyes "There's only one way to kill me angel."

"I'll finish the reason before it finishes you, I promise." I meant it, I would.

I'd never let them harm Lucas.

To get to the king you must get the queen off the board.

"The only person capable of ending me is you, Angel. There's no one else, just you. I've lived for you, and I'd die for you," Lucas whispered, his gaze drifting as he got lost in his thoughts.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked, hoping to stop my mind from running in the same direction again and again.

"Nothing." Lucas replied and looked down at me, his gaze held so many emotions that I felt lost.

"Let's just go to sleep" I whispered.

"Yeah, let's do that." Lucas agreed.

♥️

I woke up the next morning with a dark cloud looming on my head.  The events of the previous night had left me with a sense of unease that I couldn't easily shake.

I'll have to find out who was behind the attack.

As I glanced to the other side of the bed, I noticed that Lucas had already left, his side of the sheets cold. A pang of slight disappointment hit me in a small wave, but I quickly brushed it aside. There were more pressing matters to attend to than morning routines.

I decided to get an early start on my day, hoping that a head start would allow me more time to go over everything that happened last night and my suspicion. After a quick shower to refresh myself, I entered my closet, determined to face the day head-on.

From the array of dresses, I selected a nude sundress that caught my eye. Slipping into it with ease, I reached behind my back to locate the zipper, intending to pull it up. However, all my god damn attempts failed.

"Aren't side zips a thing already?" I mumbled to myself in mild exasperation. I took a deep breath and tried again, the strap on my left shoulder slipped down as the dress refused to fit my body properly.

Just then, a noise from the closet entrance caught my attention. I turned to find Lucas engrossed in a conversation on his earpiece. The way he looked at me in that moment sent a shiver down my spine.

His eyes gave away so many emotions that it all felt bizarre.

Lucas continued to speak to someone as his eyes travelled from my heels to the top of my head, his eyes focused on my hands, trying to zip up my dress for a few seconds.

"I want separate and consolidated data sheets on all the exports that have taken place in the last six months for the rifles," he stated into his earpiece  as he walked up to me. With a soft touch, he gently nudged my hand aside and zipped up my dress from the base of my back

His chilly fingers sent a strange sensation through me, a stark contrast to our usual warmth. I turned to face him, searching for answers in his eyes.

"yes that's all I require at the moment, send me all the data as soon as possible." Lucas continued speaking into his ear piece while saying in the last half of the sentence and cutting off.