T W E L V E

𝘐'𝘷𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘢 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘷𝘦, 𝘦𝘯𝘫𝘰𝘺.

♥️

"Ma'am, the shipments have been accounted for

"Ma'am, the shipments have been accounted for. There seem to be no errors, should I get the team to put them into the factory? One of the guards inquired, walking into the kitchen.

Perfect.

I acknowledged the guard and gave him a tiny nod before returning to the lemon butter sauce.

Things had finally begun to calm down, the majority of the guards had returned to duty, and things were looking good.

Lucas had also healed for the most part and got back to his schedule at his job, with me assisting him when he wasn't available.

Which was most of the time, for me. He always was available and working as the king but we never really spoke much.

The everyday pattern of sleeping in quiet had gradually become exhausting, but isn't that what I'd always desired? The distance was something I yearned for.

Lucas would generally get home late and fall asleep quickly without saying anything; he stayed to himself while I lived like a ghost.

A nobody

While the sauce thickened and took on its colour, I continued to whisk it. I wanted to cook today, mostly to keep my mind from wandering too much.

"Athira, dear, it appears that the sauce has finished cooking on the stove. Don't you agree?" I took a tiny step back and looked up to find Lucas's mother beaming at me.

"ah, yes, I was just distracted," I explained, smiling back and turning off the burner.

"I notice that your hair is open today," Lucas's mom murmured, making me scowl at the mess on my head as I ran my hand down the length of my hair unintentionally.

"The elastic broke when I started making the sauce and I didn't bother with it afterwards," I explained, wondering if the sauce was still edible.

"Well, I don't think anyone is complaining. You've always had beautiful hair, I had trouble tieing it up when you were young because they were too silky, do you want me to tie it up for you?" I nodded and grinned as I swiftly exited the kitchen and sat down on the couch.

Lucas's mother was the one who helped me braid my hair for most of my childhood; she'd always braid it from one side and put it up in a high pony with little braids cascading from it. Whenever she'd try tying my hair any other way I would start crying and beg for my original.

"Give me some time to get things perfect; it's been a long time since I've knotted anyone's hair, okay?" She stayed it with a chuckle in her voice, which made me grin.