T W E N T Y T W O

𝘐'𝘷𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘦𝘥 𝘢 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘫𝘰𝘺.

I've started a new Instagram page to promote my books, come say hi! @/ishi.xoxo_

♥️

"So many marks?"  Zia inquired taking a sip of her bubble tea that had recently become her obsession while gazing up at me, delicately tracing her fingers along my waist, a slight pout adorning her face

I didn't say anything as she traced her hand along my scars, and her frown deepened. Her other hand went to put the glass down but slipped and she fell into the pool where I was swimming.

Acting on instinct, I pulled her out immediately and sat her down on the railing while cradling her head and supporting her little body.

"Okay?" I asked, lightly rubbing her back as she coughed.

Tears welled up in her eyes but they didn't fall. Zia quickly shook her face left and right and wiped her eyes.

My brave girl.

A surge on protectiveness hit me, yet I resisted the urge to take action, giving Zia time to arrange herself. She wasn't particularly physically affectionate, but she had her moments. I usually stayed a step behind her and looked after her.

Shawn had decided to take Nora and Lia out for two days to the cabin we owned a few hundred kilometres away from the city for a break. He offered to let us join them but I declined. He needed to spend alone time with his girls and honestly, so did I.

But the plan was failing, fast.

Zia was around me most of the time when I was home because she didn't have Lia to keep her company but my wife refused to bat an eye my way.

She only stuck around as long as it was necessary with me, but I knew she spent plenty of time with Zia teaching her how to paint since that was something both the little girls of the Knight house enjoyed and seeing how Lia was not here, so someone had to fill in.

Zia put  her arms on my chest firmly this time around and looked up at me with determination, "Swim."

I nodded and pulled her down carefully. She didn't know how to swim at all but she was learning. As of now, she was trying to learn how to push her legs around while I held her hand to humour her even though she could very well hold the railing and do the same thing.

It makes her happy when you hold her hand and pull her around the pool.

I tightened my hold on her hand slightly and murmured, "Good job."

After reaching the other end of the pool, I helped Zia sit on the railing again before embarking on a quick lap around the pool.

Upon returning to where Zia was sitting I saw her looking at me with narrowed eyes making me arch an eyebrow.