Chapter 40

"Ah, your thinking place. That's the mystery location," Harry said when we finally reached the park. 

"Of course."

We sat on the swings in silence for a few minutes, hot coffees in hand. The night was crisp and chilly, just the way I liked it. The best part of any day here in my city is when night takes over, when the dark skies creep up on you and the city is cooled by the dim light of the moon. The stars are practically non-existent in Manhattan's sky, but that just made the few stars you did see all the more exciting. The ones that weren't helicopters, anyway. They were special. Starry skies, I think, are vastly overrated. 

"So, what are you thinking about tonight?" Harry asked me, swinging into me lightly. 

"You. Us. Life. Today," I list slowly before taking a long sip of my drink. 

"Oh..." he said softly. "Are you upset?" 

I turned to face him, his green eyes trained on his coffee cup. "What? Why would I be upset?" I ask, shorter than I intended. 

"Because of the way I acted around your family... That I got up and spoke," he said, looking at me. 

"No, no... Actually, I loved that," I said honestly, biting my lip immediately after. 

A smile grew across his face. It's always slow and sideways, Harry's smiles. And those dimples... It's not fair when he does this. I'm defenseless every time. I'm always in awe of him. 

"You did?" 

Across my face grew an even goofier, probably much less attractive smile. "Of course I did, are you kidding? My family loved you, Harry. They loved you so freaking much. They love you more than they love me, probably." 

He laughed. "I wouldn't be so sure of that."

"No, I'm sure... And I'm sure that... That they don't love you as much as I do." The words rolled off my tongue quickly, all coming out too quickly. The antithesis of smooth. 

He just stared at me, his lips parted only slightly. "You... You love me, Melissa?" His words were always a little bit too slow, in the most beautiful way. He was like living velvet. 

"I do," I smiled, looking down at my shoes. "You know that, though."

He wrapped his arms around my waist a little awkwardly, as we were still on the swings. He kissed the side of my head, humming in agreement. 

He was too slow to say it back, just staring at me with that doofy but sexy smile, and it was driving me insane. "And you love me?" I asked quietly, shamefully. 

Harry grabbed my face between his hands, his thumbs rubbing my cheeks. He chuckled lightly. "Yes, Melissa..." his voice trailed off, as it always does. 

"Yes, what?" 

He kissed me once on the lips. "Yes, I love you, Melissa." 

My heart swelled, I could feel it swelling. I started to giggle, this giddy little noise escaping my lips as I stood up and cheered triumphantly, holding two fists above my head. "I knew it! I knew you loved me!" 

Harry looked at me like I was crazy, which I guess I was... I felt crazy. This whole thing was crazy. 

He hopped off the swing, grabbing me by my waist and lifting me up above his head for a moment, causing me to laugh even harder.

"It's almost four in the morning..." I started rambling when he put me back on the ground. "We're standing in a park, the only other people here are sleeping homeless people, this day is supposed to be sad... but I'm so happy. Because I love you, Harry."