Chapter 24

Harry had told me that I had to wear something fancy, but wouldn't tell me where we were going, so I was at a bit of a loss as I stood in front of my closet with my newly-straightened hair and fresh makeup in just my underwear.  

As spontaneous and adorable as this all was, I was starting to realize that, unlike Harry, I just wasn't well-versed in the fields of spontaneous and adorable. I was kind of freaking out.

First I tried on a black shirt and black jeans, figuring I could pair it with a pair of heels and a necklace to dress it up, but then I thought about Harry waiting on the couch in his preppy little sweater and button up and decided to wear something a little nicer. A little less edgy... A little less me, unfortunately.

"Melissa, we have to go! Are you ready?" I heard him call from outside my door. 

Nope. "Uh, yeah! Just a second"

I ended up just grabbing the first thing I saw, which was a long sleeved, baby pink lace dress that Erica bought for me years ago. It had a heart neckline that was a little low-cut, but I didn't have time to over think it. I threw on a pair of brown boots to go with it, and I looked like how my mom wanted me to look in high school. Like someone who was getting dinner with their boyfriend in between cheer-leading practice and planning their senior prom. I could've gagged.

I walked out into the living room and saw Harry playing on his phone. "Ready?" I asked him, gaining his attention. He looked me up and down with a strange look on his face, one eyebrow raised. He looked almost confused. When we made eye contact again, he recovered and got up to go.

We got bundled up and started walking hand in hand through Manhattan, a light snow had just started sprinkling down.

"This certainly isn't California," Harry commented, trying, with no avail, to catch snow on his tongue. 

"It certainly is not," I said, wrapping my arm around his and snuggling into his side while we waited to cross the street. "I'm here, though."

Harry leaned over and kissed my head. "Yes, and that's why I'm here." 

"Where are we going, by the way?" I asked.

"Well, in the nature of surprising you, I decided to contact my good friend Sal-"

"You called my grandpa?" I could die. 

"We texted, actually. Sal is a busy man, he can't be bothered with a phone call... Probably had his assistant text me," Harry said, sounding hilariously serious.

I made a mental note to go visit Gramps sometimes this week... And to maybe bring Harry.

"But anyway, we discussed and I think we have a found a restaurant in this borough that you have never been to."

I laughed. "That's doubtful."

"Doubtful, yes, but not impossible!" Harry defend himself. 

"That should be your motto," I said, patting his arm with a playful eye roll.

I was pretty impressed with how well Harry was able to navigate his way to our date.  We took two subways and walked a few blocks, all without him having to look at his phone for directions or for where to transfer. And, believe it or not, we actually started to head into an area of Manhattan that I was not entirely familiar with. It's not that I've explored every inch of Manhattan, that's kind of impossible, but I certainly knew a lot more about it than Harry does. I was more impressed as we walked up the steps of what looked to be an old house, but had a small sign on the door for an Italian restaurant. The name of the place was so Italian, I couldn't even pronounce it.