Chapter 9

Other than the stretched silence was the sound of cards being placed upon the floor as  Mayakashi set up the game after shuffling the cards and handing them to you to shuffle for yourself so you wouldn't assume she was pulling any stunts.

You sat crossed legged infront of her, watching her impassively as you waited for her to finish.

Mayakashi reminded you of Johness, so similar but just different in their own ways.
They both had that sadistic glint in their eyes, and both took to that obsessive obsession with the thought of blood covering their hands.

You shivered as you remembered the unlucky numbers in her prison sentence. You weren't a superstitious person...but you couldn't help it.

Mayakashi clapped her hands as she finished setting the cards down. "Little one, why don't you go first?"

You nodded, sending her a glance before looking towards the cards neatly layed out before you.
You obviously couldn't predict what cards would match so you'd have to rely on luck... which you haven't had that much during the exam.

You kept eye contact with Mayakashi as you lifted one card, a red heart with the number four in the corner.

Mayakashi couldn't help but giggle, excitement evident as you moved to lift another card which revealed a black club with the number four.

Mayakashi licked her lips, "What bad luck to get two fours."

Mayakashi moved to lift a card, a red heart with the number five. She then lifted up a red diamond with the number seven.

The game continued like that, no clear pairs until before the tenth turn which was yours.

You had lifted up a pair of red diamonds, both six.

Mayakashi clapped loudly, a eerie smile in her face.

After that, Mayakashi made a pair of two black spades with the number eight.

You two continued to make pairs, seemingly never ending as you and Mayakashi made a single pair sometimes and other times multiple pairs.

It ended with Mayakashi making the last pair, you having made fourteen pairs and Mayakashi with thirty-eight.

You could hear nervous chatter from your friends, Leorio mostly speaking.

Mayakashi jumped up, causing you to put your neck in a uncomfortable position as you looked up at her.

She squealed, "I win!"
She peered down at you, "And I have the perfect punishment in mind."

There was tense silence before Mayakashi decided.

She pondered, "Little one, do you know of Russian roulette?"

You furrowed your eyebrows but nodded.

Mayakashi licked her lips, an ambiance of excitement oozing out of her, "Well that's my punishment for you. You'll receive a revolver with a single round in it and shoot yourself. Let's see how lucky you can be, shall we?"

At this point even Kurapika was hysterical as he shouted alongside Leorio for you to stop.

But you stood up, the tile next to you opening up and a column protruding with a revolver and a single bullet next to it.

You picked up the revolver, testing it's weight in your hand and checking the bullet chambers.

Mayakashi was literally beginning to shake, biting at her finger-not her nail but at her thumb as she eyed you.

You placed the bullet in the revolver, spun the cylinder and   looked up at Mayakashi curiously. She never said where exactly you had to shoot yourself but it appeared she didn't care as she kept silent, watching you dangerously.