Chapter Nineteen

noon,
OUTSIDE THE KENSHO BUILDING

Envy stood alone in front of a vending machine in an eating place outside the cafeteria. No one goes here because all the fun is inside. There are benches and vending machines here, rarely used. Envy is quite the introvert himself, and he feels claustrophobic when Greed chooses to hang out with his half-brother and puts all his attention on his captive.

"Shit," he mutters in a volume only he can hear, the drink in the machine tilting down but failing to fall over. His hand materializes into flesh before punching the thing, failing to get the drink.

The machines are Ghost-proof to avoid theft, which is why Envy can't just put his hand through. Carvalle made sure that Ghosts' abilities to be transparent wouldn't exempt them from any laws of nature. The 3rd Dimension technology is used specifically for Ghosts.

Envy angrily kicks the machine yelling, "Piece of shit!" All while envisioning Hani Lee in his mind.

He leans on the machine dejected, a deep-rooted feeling all a dim flame inside of him. Am I never enough for him?

Am I even enough for anything at all?

Suddenly, something appeared in his peripherals that made Envy go back to his usual, mean blank stare. It was his preferred canned soft drink, offered by the hand of the Glutton Shifter.

"You can have mine," the Glutton says, offering his can to him with an extended arm.

His heart is beating calmly but his knees are tense, and his eyes can only stay wide awake looking at this dangerous beauty called Envy. Even though Glutton is taller than this long-legged Ghost, he feels like he is under this fierce man's gaze.

Envy looks at him up and down in disgust, straightening himself up. With the usual low voice, he says, "Why would I take something you touched?"

My heart skipped. It's the caffeine. Glutton gulps at the insult, yet cannot take his eyes away from how Envy's light green highlights contrasted with his sun-kissed skin. This man broke my wings but if he did it again I wouldn't mind...

"U-uhh..." Glutton then takes out a packet of wet wipes from his back pocket, he usually carries it because he's a little bit of a clean freak--takes one tissue out and wraps it around the drink. Now he's holding it by the rim of the can. "Here... I guess?"

Envy's judgemental eyes dart from the drink to him once more, as if he's looking at scum. Nobody ever offered me a drink without me asking for it first. But, Envy actually feels warmed by the fact that this imbecile used stupid logic to get him to take the drink.

And he did, taking it by the tissue that surrounds it. Rolling his eyes, Envy says, "What, you usually carry around baby wipes because everything you touch turns to dirt?"

"If you touch me, I'd turn to—" Glutton bit his own tongue. "I mean! Baby wipes. To clean surfaces I touch or sit. Y-yeah... is that weird?"

While opening the can, Envy glares at him. "Don't think you can talk to me whenever you want to because you gave me a drink, Michael Jackson."

"Well..." Glutton shyly rubs his nape with a blush that deepens his honey-dark complexion. " 'You saying I'm as handsome as Michael Jackson...?"

Envy squints his eyes at him, ignoring the ridiculous question. Why is he casually talking to me? "Weren't you the one with the broken wing?"

"You remember?" Glutton looks up with a sparkle in his eyes, which actually throws Envy off. Glutton looks like a hopeful puppy and he'd be wagging his tail if he was one right now.