|Past|

Carter

The next day at work Trouble was distant. He didn't flirt, he didn't even mention anything that happened between them. He avoided eye contact and did as little talking as possible. Carter was technically still crashing at his place so that was weird. He didn't make a big deal out of it, this is how men are sometimes. They get the ass and act a damn ass.

"I'm looking over the latest model for Sean's new arm and, he said the last one didn't fit properly. The doctor swore the measurements were correct. I think I'll just pay him a visit."

"Is that common for us to visit the patient?"

"No, but I like to." He was was short.

Carter tagged along with him to the hospital to visit the patient, he was happy to see Trouble. "Devon!"

"Hey champ, how is therapy?"

"Ahh, you know...it's therapy."

"You have to build up your muscles in order to be able to use your new arm. I'm here to personally take measurements to be sure it's a prefect fit."

"Thank you man, seriously. You know my wife just had a new baby."

"I remember you saying something like that..Sean this is Carter, he's studying to be a biomedical engineer like myself."

The guy extends his other hand and Carter shakes it. "If you studying under Devon, you gonna be the best."

"Thanks Sean, now stay still." Carter assured with the measures and watching how Trouble interacts with the patient. He was great at his job and always went above and beyond.

Trouble

For the rest of that week Carter showered and headed straight to the guess room. Trouble wasn't trying to be mean, but he needed more time. But Carter did deserve to know that. So he knocked on his door.

"Come in," he was flipping through Hulu.

"Can we talk?"

"Sure," he put the remote down and Trouble leaned against the dresser.

"The other night was amazing, and there's not a moment since, that it's not in my thoughts." Carter face was blank. "But maybe we shouldn't have crossed that line or maybe not so soon."

"It's really not that deep, I know how this goes?"

"What do you mean?"

"Next you'll say, it's probably best I don't stay here and you are a nice guy, so you may offer to put me up in a hotel or something and our time together was fun but you are not looking for a relationship." Carter got off the bed. He pulled his suitcase from the closet and tossed it on the bed.

Trouble walked over to him and grabbed grabbed his hand. "You're wrong, I don't want you to leave. I'm not like that." Then he let his hand go. "I'm afraid that I'm going to start liking you and..."

"What's wrong with that?" Carter asked.

"Everything,"

Carter turned to him and cupped his face, Trouble rubbed his face into his hand. "Sex complicates things, so maybe no more of it until we get to know each other more?" Carter smiled.

Trouble nodded. "That's a good idea, but will you sit at the table with me and have dinner?"

"Of course I will."

Carter

Carter couldn't lie, he owes this Ace guy an ass whooping. How could he break this beautiful man's heart? They didn't make them like him anymore. He laughed as Trouble pretended to play basketball, saying how he broke ankles all through high school and college. That hard image he portrayed was softening right before Carters eyes. In the short time they've spent together, he wanted to protect him, although he needed protecting as well, love can be such a ugly thing in the hands of the wrong people.