| Friend of Yours |

Ace

We were quiet for the most part, occasionally agreeing on a bad call from refs. I knew Zhi was staring at me but I was hoping not in that way, like I mentioned before, I'm over him. I never told Trouble about the random nights, he would call me to vent and beg for me to take him back. Once we were married, he stopped. I got wind he was back in therapy and I was glad to know that. It must've helped because he just seemed more like himself again. Therapy definitely helped my marriage. When we both showed up to the family gatherings, it was strange at first but it became easier every time.

"You ready to go skiing tomorrow?" He broke the silence.

"Somewhat, you know I overthink things,"

He smiled. "Probably thinking you will get lost and end up buried alive,"

"and you hit it right on the nail,"

I shook my head. "Scary ass,"

"Shit, it's better to be cautious than assume everything will be peaches and cream."

"Yeah, well you ain't punkin out nigga, you going skiing with us, if my black ass have to go, so do you."

"I know," I leaned back rubbing my belly." I finally turned my face towards him and just as I thought, he was already staring back at me. I quickly turned to the tv.

He chuckled softly. "People allowed to make eye contact when talking, it's not a crime."

"I know, it ain't that."

"What is it?"

"This probably our first time in a while, just vibin." I thought long and hard.

He leaned back on the couch, putting his arms up on the back of it. "Growth,"

"Feel like old times again, high school shit."

"Yeah,"

"You probably will think um bullshitting but I like it with us just being friends, I prayed that we'd get back to those days. I would be good with even just a piece of our old friendship." He stared up at the ceiling. "With everything we had going on, we forgot we were boys before anything. That's why that shit crashed and burned...."

"I don't wanna go to deep with this conversation because I feel like we are past it and need to leave it where it's at. But, I get you, we did forget to be friends, like you said, let's work on getting some part of that back."

"It would mean the world to me,"

I turned back his way. "You still my best friend Zhi, despite everything."

"Even though you ain't pick me to be your best man?"

"I wasn't even sure if inviting you was right, i was considering your feelings and Kurt had never missed a beat."

"I love Kurt and he would be the only person I would be okay with standing in my place....but I had to be there, I maybe cried in the car all the way home, but I had to be there for possibly the most important day of your life."

"Can I be real?"

"Yeah,"

"I am so happy. I know people say this all the time but I am just so damn happy with the way things ended. I know at point I couldn't breathe without you and when shit was bad, I experienced anxiety attacks. They really started in high school, when things fell apart. There's no doubt you was meant to be in my life, but not as my soulmate, just as my boy."

I sit up. " I know I said it before but I'm really sorry about making a move on you that night, because I don't believe you would of ever wanted to be with a guy. It should of been a mutual thing."

"Why you think I never would of wanted to?"

"Because every time we have broken things off, you link back up with a female."

"Yeah, the more I think about it, I do feel like it was only you I wanted in that way and that's because I wanted you anyway I could have you, my nigga, my fuck buddy, the love of my life. Long as I had you."

"Except it wasn't as long as you had me. It was me, some random chick and rather or not you was gay or straight that day." We both laughed.

"True and I ain't gon hold you.." he joked.

"On a serious tip, I had a talk with my mama this morning and would you believe she contemplated suicide in college?"

"What?"

"Yeah, but she found out she was pregnant with me and it changed everything..."

"You aaight?"

"Yeah...it's just, you never think about your parents going through....shit life."

"Yeah, I feel like they have just always been able to deal with anything and have never had a weak moment."

"It's not like we think they're perfect, we just see them as like, superwomen."

"I have seen my mom stressed out a few times but by the end of day she would be back smiling. So, I never put much thought into, things be hard."

"Well, things can definitely be hard for them too." Zhi looked away.

We looked up to see Trouble coming down the stairs. He stopped at the last step, standing in his robe, looking edible. "Coming to bed?"

"Yeah," I got up and handed Zhi the remote. "Good talk," he put out his fist.

"Yeah, night."

"See you in the morning Zhi," Trouble said as he slapped my butt, while we walked up the stairs.

Zhi

Their public affection sis t bother me as much as it once did. It doesn't make me want to run and hide anymore. I will never not be around Ace and not have flashbacks, the dick is top tier. However, being able to get maneuver through a conversation, without fighting and crying, feels so good. We still had a long way to go, but we were getting there.

Samson came stumbling into the the cabin, obviously drunk. He just looked at me. "This is all because you and that damn friend of yours,"

"Huh?"

He walked closer to me and leaned down. "FYI..I was never okay with you both being together...the shit ain't right, but ya mama said I'm not your dad and you not my kid." He laughed. "After everything I did for you and her, I state my opinion and now I ain't shit" he almost fell backwards. "Ain't that a bitch." He then stumbled up the stairs.

What the hell was that?

******************************
Samson??

Zhi and Ace's conversation?

Like and comment

Thank you all
🥰