Chapter 36 - Truth

Start from the beginning

"Whoops! I forgot." Natsumi yanked off a button in an unremarkable spot of her jacket and held it up to Haniel.
The trail of fabric she'd pulled off with the button emitted a pale light, then transformed into a small lollipop with a stick. She was pretty sure this was what Kotori was always sucking on.
"Mm. I guess that's about it," she said in a voice that sounded quite different from seconds earlier, and snapped her fingers. Instantly, Haniel turned into particles of light in her hand and melted into the air.
"Now then..." With Haniel gone and herself completely transformed into Itsuka Kotori, Natsumi took a couple deep breaths before starting to walk slowly down the hallway.

So she wouldn't be seen as suspicious should she run into someone, she searched her surroundings with eye movements alone. She caught sight of doors with electronic locks from time to time in the wide, long hallway. She didn't yet know the entire layout of this building, but she could easily tell that it was a fairly large facility.

"Seriously. What is this place?" Natsumi muttered under her breath. The only thing that was certain was that this was a facility to which Shidou, Kotori, Lucas, Tohka, and the others had some kind of connection, but she didn't know anything beyond that. To start with, boys and girls their age shouldn't have been able to make free use of a place like this. Maybe they belonged to some kind of organization, which would mean they had some serious backing.
When she thought about this, a chill naturally ran up Natsumi's spine. They couldn't actually be planning to capture the Spirit Natsumi and use her as a lab rat or something, right? Thoughts like this flickering through her mind, she examined the hallways, which were so reminiscent of a hospital or some kind of research facility.

"Hmm? Commander?" a voice called out to her abruptly from behind.
"...!" Jumping imperceptibly, Natsumi looked back to see a woman with long bangs and the same uniform as Kotori in a different color.
Seeing Natsumi, the woman tilted her head to one side curiously.

Natsumi looked closely and realized this was the cashier at the hamburger shop that Shido and Kotori had taken her to the day before

"What are you doing here?" the woman asked. "Is something the matter? Didn't you say before that you were returning to Fraxinus?"

"Oh, I thought I'd check in on Natsumi before I left." Natsumi spoke in as steady a voice as she could manage.

"Oh, you did?" The woman nodded, seeming entirely unsuspicious. "Well, she is a difficult one. If this keeps up, we'll never seal her."

"Seal? What are you talking about?" Natsumi cocked her head to one side, and the woman's eyes grew wider.

"Well, her Spirit power, of course. Have Shidou or Lucas kiss her and lock away her Spirit power. Isn't that what our organization is for?"

"...!" Natsumi's eyebrows jumped up, but she acted cool so as not to let the other woman see how upset she was. "Ohhh. That's right. Sorry. Maybe I'm a little tired."