CHAPTER 28: "1994 PART 2 (TNKK 1994)."

Inside the temple, the monks greeted their old friend, Nariyoshi. They each introduced themselves to Julie and brought her to her room. After that, Nariyoshi leads Julie to the Sacred Garden downstairs. “Rock garden is very sacred place. Is example of inner peace. Sand represent ocean and big rock, Japan. Small rock, Okinawa where Miyagi born. Go. Climb on rock.” Nariyoshi told his new student. Julie runs up to the rock and waits for what she was about to be old next. “Now you fake front round kick and land on Okinawa.” Nariyoshi said, pointing to the smaller rock. 

Julie was starting to feel a sudden suspicion and was wondering why Nariyoshi was teaching her martial arts. She brushes those feelings off for now and then goes for the kick. She jumped up and didn’t make the landing. Nariyoshi knew that she would not make it the first try and told her to continue. After a couple of hours, she finally gets it, jumping into the air, throwing a front kick and landing on her feet. Julie cheered with joy and Nariyoshi smiled, telling her that he was very proud.

(The Next Day…)

Back at the school, Paul Dugan had his Alpha Elites, including Eric, in their army stance formations, giving them some of the knowledge he received in his days in the vietnam war. “By the time I left the army, I had learned one thing: when you go into battle, you must be strong.” Paul Dugan’s speech suddenly gets interrupted when one of the school teachers comes in and tells Eric that his mother was on the phone for him. Eric steps out of formation but Paul Dugan stops him in his tracks. 

“You leave here, you can forget about that recommendation to the Air Force academy. And you will bring a world of pain for dishonoring Master Kim Sung-Yung’s legacy.” Paul Dugan said, seriously. Eric only glared at him and left to answer the phone. “Hey Mom?” Eric said, with worry in his voice. “Eric. It’s me, Julie. The place I'm staying at didn’t have a phone, so I’m using the one down the street. How are you and Angel doing?” Julie asked from the other end of the line. “She’s feeling lonely. She really misses you. And I am too.” Eric said, honestly. That made Julie smile happily and told him that she should be back in town soon and that she couldn’t wait to see them soon. Julie couldn’t get the blush off her face as her feelings for Eric grew stronger. 

Julie returned to the temple and met up with Nariyoshi in the main hall. “Mr. Miyagi. Can we talk for a minute?” She asked, politely. “What is it, Julie-san?” Nariyoshi asked, curiously. “I suspected this for a little while and I would like to know the truth. Why are you really training me? And don’t tell me it’s just to protect me from Paul Dugan and his Alpha Elite.” Julie said. Nariyoshi took a deep sigh before answering his student. “Julie-san, Miyagi was in big karate war in 1966. Miyagi-Do, Miyagi family dojo, got in big fight with threatening Tang-Soo Do master named Kim Sung-Yung. Miyagi fought alongside two best friends, Sato and Han. Kim Sung-Yung make bet that dojos prepare armies for Karate War. Whoever win, one legacy will be gone forever.” Nariyoshi started. 

Julie was trying to take in all the information she just heard. ‘A Karate War that’s been going on since 1966? Talk about commitment.’ Julie thought to herself. “Julie-san. If you not wish to join, Miyagi understand.” Nariyoshi said, putting his hands behind his back. Julie stepped closer to the Miyagi-Do sensei. “Mr. Miyagi. For all the help you’ve given me, I would love to help you in any way I can. I would like to be taught some more of Miyagi-Do, if that’s okay?” Julie said and asked in the end. Nariyoshi smiled at Julie's agreement in joining the Karate War. For the next week and a half, Nariyoshi began training Julie in Miyagi-Do. She passed with flying colors and the monks called her to the main hall for a farewell ceremony. But what Julie didn’t expect was that one of the monks appeared with a birthday cake and they sang her happy birthday. They celebrated it before she left. 

(Timeskip…)

Julie returned to school and met up with Eric around lunchtime. Julie noticed Paul Dugan and the Alpha Elite glaring at both her and Eric from a distance. “Guess they’re still mad at me.” Julie sighed. “You’re not the only one they’re mad at. I quit Dugan’s group.” Eric admitted. “What?” Julie asked, shocked. “I’ll tell you about it later.” Eric said, leading Julie at a lunch table, far away from Alpha Elite. They finished their food quickly and headed to the roof to see Angel. When Eric was telling Julie that he didn’t need Paul Dugan to get into the Air Force academy, he was lost for words when he noticed that Angel was not in her cage.