Chapter Seventy Eight: Shattered Reflections

David
meanwhile

The clock struck midnight, and David took his place at the front of the ancient Callisto Cathedral. The flickering thousands of black candles cast eerie shadows on his youthful face as he began to speak, his voice filled with conviction and vengeance.

"My brother, Miles Prescott, had to be here preaching tonight instead of me as you all know. But he was taken from this world by betrayal," he declared, his words laced with simmering anger. "But this night of Ashes, we gather to avenge him. No longer shall their killers roam free, for we shall bring justice upon them."

The room was filled with a hushed silence as hundreds of devotees listened, their eyes gleaming with anticipation and blind admiration. David's mind raced, basking in the power and authority he had. The Primordial leaders of the cult stood in the shadows of the altar, awaiting his speech before conducting the ritual.

"Just splendid," David thought bitterly, his thoughts swirling with conflict. "In this moment, I am both judge and jury. I hold the power to avenge my twin. Finally. All my attempts will be rewarded."

As his speech carried on, his voice grew louder and more powerful. He spoke of loyalty to the Ashes, of community love, and of the consequences that awaited those who dared to harm its members. The hall seemed to tremble with his words, as if the very walls were echoing in accordance.

As the ceremony reached its crescendo, David made a choice. He would blindly seek revenge. With a final, resolute gaze toward the devotees, he ended his sermon. The room erupted in applause, their fervor mixing with his own conflicted emotions. The organ music started playing, signifying the start of the ceremony.

The flow of cultists moved toward the red wine fountain in the center. "Let us drink the blood of our Architect! It will cleanse ours!" David exclaimed, taking a sip of red wine. "Let us devour the ashes! For it will make our minds sane!" He gestured towards the trays of rice.

One by one, the devotees stepped forward, partaking in the ritual. He watched as they consumed the wine and rice, their faces contorting with a strange mix of ecstasy and pain. The scent of incense filled the air, intertwining with the frenzied murmurs of the cultists. The atmosphere was electric, charged with an otherworldly energy.

Ruby

A sound of a metal against a raw basement door rang. Someone quietly opened the door, letting fresh air inside. Dan stiffened. Slow footsteps appeared to be descending down to us. Soon a tall figure in a black cassock appeared in the doorframe, a sharp dagger in his gloved hand. I shivered, and Dan moved closer to me.

"You won't save her this time. Move away," a low voice rang in the basement.

This time? What did he mean? And as if answering my question, the figure spoke again in a desolate chilling voice.

"Daria was as useless as a barking dog trying to scare the cat sitting high on a tree. We gave her everything to get rid of you." The figure pointed its dagger at me. "That time in the forest, you should've died from a hallucinogenics overdose. Turned out you had a guardian angel who took you to the hospital to get your blood cleaned." The voice of the figure was emotionless and detached. "Now, he won't help you... Any last words?"

I was trying to peer to see who was under the hood.

"You want to see my face, Ruby?" the voice asked. "Or shall I call you... Rubicon?" he hissed, taking the hood off and stepping into the faint light.

A gasp stuck in my throat. I wanted to scream. In horror or surprise or both. Because before me... stood Miles. He looked older, more mature, but it was undoubtedly him. His grey eyes, dark brown hair, facial features...