Chapter Forty Seven: Maroon Waterfall

Ruby
the next day

Cay was just in time. The watch in the cold cabin showed 3:55 am. The dawn hadn't even planned on starting yet. With the grey cold Canadian autumn hanging in the air, we grabbed our flashlights and set out into the wilderness of Asheville's woods. We had been walking for half an hour east of town towards the waterfall and an old soap factory, where rumors of something mysterious happening had reached our ears.

I side-glanced at my partner in search, Cay. He wore a loose old shirt that peeked from his warm jeans jacket. A hood hid half of his face, but I could still see his straight nose. His expression was cold and determined, his eyes scanning the surroundings. I took a deep breath and spoke up.

"You got something to say?" he asked, without looking at me.

"Thanks," I replied. "For joining me here."

He nodded, acknowledging my gratitude. We continued our journey in silence, the only sound in the darkness being the crunching of leaves under our boots.

Suddenly, a flash of movement caught my eye. Someone's hoodie, the color of maroon, flickered in the distance. The person's hood was up, concealing their features. It looked just like the one I had gifted to Miles. Excitement and fear mingled within me as I grasped Cay's elbow, pointing him in the direction of the mysterious figure.

"It's Miles," I whispered, barely able to contain my excitement. "Miles! Miles!!!" I yelled, taking off running towards the figure. But the distance was too great, and just as I descended down the rocky, slippery moss pathway, the maroon hoodie disappeared from sight. It had vanished into thin air.

I frantically ran back and forth, searching for any sign of Miles, but all my efforts were in vain. Cay caught up with me, out of breath, his concern etched across his face.

"Don't run away like this from me, Ruby!" he scolded, his hands gripping my shoulders. "It's dangerous!"

I nodded, my expression lost and devastated. "I couldn't catch up with... him," I admitted, my voice cracking with disappointment.

Cay rolled his eyes, clearly skeptical. "How do you know that it was him? It could've been anyone else."

Desperation surged within me as I fiercely shook my head. "No! It was Miles! I know what I saw. It was his hoodie—the one I gifted him!"

Cay's lips tightened, his gaze locked with mine. "As you say, Rub," he responded, his voice tinged with doubt.

...

As we neared the waterfall, the sound of the rushing water echoed through the dense forest. The morning sun pierced through the clouds, casting a mystical glow over the surroundings. However, there was an uneasiness in the air. Cay had been on edge ever since we caught a glimpse of a figure wearing a red hoodie closely resembling the one Miles' had. Determined to uncover the truth, I mustered up all my courage and sprinted towards the waterfall spring.

Cay grumbled, warning me not to wander too far again. But my curiosity had always gotten the better of me. Kneeling beside the water, I reached out to scoop a handful, only to freeze midway. The spring was filled with bones, animal skeletons of all shapes and sizes littering the shallow bottom. Panic surged through me, and I let out a scream, scrambling backward.

Cay instantly rushed to my side, scanning the area for any signs of danger. Finding none, he released a sigh and shot me a glare. "What now?"

With trembling hands, I pointed to the spring. Cay cautiously stepped forward, his eyes fixated on the eerie water. After what seemed like an eternity, he turned to face me, his expression unreadable.

"Do you know what lies beyond that waterfall in the mountains?" he asked, his voice cold and distant.

I shook my head in response, my heart pounding in my chest.

"It's a small, secluded village," he continued, his tone grave. "But it's not an ordinary village. It's inhabited by a cult, their main stronghold."

Confusion and fear swirled within me as his words sank in. Cay offered me his hand, silently urging me to stand. I stole another glance at the bone-filled spring before meeting his gaze.

"Did the cult leave all these bones here?" I finally managed to ask, my voice quivering.

Cay pursed his lips, contemplating his response. "No. They most likely discard the bones in the river further up the mountains. The powerful current carries them downstream, ending up here."

"But why do they take the lives of so many animals?" I questioned, unable to comprehend the cruelty behind such actions. "It's not just cattle and livestock. It's all kinds of creatures."

Cay's frustration resurfaced, and he glared at me. "Why burden me with these questions?" he snapped, his voice betraying his annoyance. He took a few steps away, exhaling deeply. "Weren't you involved with their future cult leader? You should have asked Miles about all their bloody rituals and beliefs."

I crossed my arms, my anger now competing with my confusion. But before I could retaliate, Cay stopped in his tracks. He turned back to me, a deep sense of remorse etched on his face. "I'm sorry, Rub," he muttered, his voice softened. "I shouldn't have lashed out. Let's get going before we're late for school."

Relief washed over me at his apology, and I mustered a small smile. "Promise we'll continue searching tomorrow?" I pleaded.

Cay nodded silently, his gaze fixed on the bone-filled spring. "Promise."