Chapter Sixty Nine: A Desperate Promise

Ruby Connell

The rays of the sun were still in slumber when I arrived at "The Early Bird," the only open diner in Asheville at six AM. It was a quaint diner with an open-air café; harboring the fragrance of over-brewed coffee, a staple to the early morning risers in the area.

Seated on one of the vinyl-clad metal chairs, was Dan, his brow furrowing at my entrance. Not the usual greeting from him, something was amiss. Perhaps his anger towards me had not yet subsided. I took a seat, trying to shake the unsettling feeling of the cool early morning and his cold response.

"Hey... What's up?" I awkwardly smiled, sitting opposite him. He studied my face, raising an eyebrow. 'Seriously, Ruby?' - was written on his face.

"Could be better. You?" He finally replied, taking a coffee sip. I nodded. It felt really awkward now normally talking after our argument over the phone the day before. I was actually surprised that Dan replied to my message and agreed to meet up here. He was an early bird, so I had to wake up indecently early for that meeting to catch him before his work calls and computer documentation.

He hated working online, preferring to be out in the field, looking for bad guys and doing all the interrogations and stuff. But here he was, putting his work on the backburner, staying in this old, gloomy town for me. That meant a lot. Yet... I strangely felt nothing. Nothing until I found out the truth about my memories. Until then, I felt like my mind was an imposter in my body with false memories.

"Thank you for agreeing to meet here," I attempted to warm his coldness with my smile.

Dan grumpily smirked, nodding. "I'm only staying here for you. You think I would hide from our rare meetings just because we argued?"

I subtly nodded. "You're right," I took my mug, hesitating. "...May I go straight to the point?"

Dan slightly chuckled. "We're not at work. Just tell me what's been troubling you lately. And we'll think about how to deal with it."

I nodded, grateful for his care. "The thing is... Tomorrow, there's a celebration in town. A very special, specific celebration for Asheville," I started.

"And you want to invite me as your date?" He joked, but upon seeing my seriousness, he cleared his throat.

"...The celebration is called the Day of Ashes. It's the biggest cult gathering annually. My friend had told me about it." I couldn't help but skip the fact that Cay was the one who informed me about that.

"I wanted to ask you, Dan," I began, my voice heavy with concern, "if there's anything you and I can do to stop this madness with the cult and the people they're kidnapping. Remember the video we watched? I believe they're still conducting those heinous acts with the unsuspecting townsfolk." I stared gloomily at Dan, hoping he would understand the urgency of the situation.

He cleared his throat, his face cold and serious. "That's what you wanted," he solemnly stated, his voice devoid of any emotion.

I reached out and placed my hand on top of his, tenderly squeezing it. "Not only because of that. I missed you," I confessed, hoping my words would melt the ice that seemed to surround him.

He tilted his head, his pale complexion contrasting with his bright lips and neatly styled back dark hair. He looked incredibly handsome, despite the gravity of the situation. "Suppose, I missed you too, agent," he replied, a faint smile dancing on his lips. His blue eyes shimmered with a mixture of emotions. "...I'm going back home tomorrow night. And I really hope you're coming with me, Ruby," he said, intertwining our fingers. Worry was evident in his eyes.