Chapter Sixty Eight: Rekindling Old Bonds

...

I spent the night in the cabin, seeking refuge from the bitter cold outside. With its rustic charm and cozy fireplace, it seemed like the perfect place to escape the harshness of Canadian spring. The cabin held nostalgic memories, including a tiny attic bedroom that we rarely used as teenagers.

As we settled in, Dari and I decided to clean up the attic space before resting for the night. Removing layers of dust and cobwebs, we transformed the neglected room into a humble sanctuary. Exhaustion took over, and we fell asleep on the bed right away, bundled up in multiple layers of clothing to stay warm. Meanwhile, Cay settled on the couch near the crackling fireplace downstairs.

Hours later, my eyes opened, and I felt an inexplicable thirst radiating through my body. It must have been due to the mulled wine we had enjoyed earlier. Wanting to quench this sudden craving, I quietly slipped out of bed and cautiously descended the spiral staircase. The dimly lit living room was adorned with the faint glow of a dying fire.

Navigating through the shadows, I found myself entering the kitchen, pouring a glass of water to satiate my thirst. Avoiding distraction, I vowed not to look at the couch where Cay had fallen asleep. But curiosity got the better of me, and as I passed by, my gaze involuntarily drifted towards the slumbering figure.

He lay there, sound asleep. His face appeared serene, bathed in the warm glow of the fire. His ashy hair shimmered like moonlight, adding a touch of ethereal beauty to the scene. However, what truly caught my attention was the fact that his torso was completely devoid of clothing. It seemed that the proximity of the fire had caused him to rid himself of excess warmth, leaving him in only his jeans.

Baffled by this unexpected sight, I took a few silent steps closer, my heart racing with newfound curiosity. As my eyes traced the contours of his exposed body, my attention was drawn to the intricate tattoo adorning his skin. An elaborate dragon ornament stretched from his arm, spreading its wings across his chest. Half of his torso was embraced by this stunning artwork, leaving me both captivated and intrigued.

Questions flooded my mind. When had Cay acquired this mesmerizing display of ink? What did it symbolize? I could sense that there must be a profound story behind its creation. My thoughts wandered, weaving intricate narratives and connections.

Lost in my reverie, I failed to notice him stirring from his slumber. Cay caught my gaze, his eyes meeting my inquisitive stare. A playful smirk played upon his lips as he soaked in the bewildered expression on my face. His husky voice dripped with mocking sarcasm as he quipped, "Enjoying the view, aren't you?"

Caught off guard, my cheeks flushed with embarrassment. I stammered, attempting to respond, but found myself at a loss for words. Realizing the futility of the situation, I quickly averted my gaze and retreated back to the warmth of the attic bedroom.

Feeling a striking dose of deep embarrassment, I climbed back into bed, burying myself beneath the blankets. Thoughts of his enigmatic tattoo continued to dance in my mind, accompanied by the gentle crackling of the fireplace downstairs. The night grew cold, but a newfound forbidden warmth blossomed within me, tinged with guilt and confusion...

I woke up early in the morning, as the mist slowly began to fade and the birds welcomed the arrival of spring with their cheerful chirping. Exiting the cabin, I made a conscious effort to avoid even glancing towards the figure asleep on the couch. I changed into some comfortable training clothes that I had found in my car and made my way to a clearing in the forest. The air was filled with the delightful scents of nature, invigorating me for my morning jog. Saturdays were always reserved for my sport ritual with Dan. We would go on a coffee date afterwards, and he would joke that I resembled a disheveled kitten after our jog. I missed those times... Didn't I?