56 ... thanksg!v!ng

Start from the beginning

When he started rambling, she shut him up with a quick kiss. "Honey It's okay, I understand. Not personally but I understand if you're a little bit off. You just got some terrible news that every kid with married parents has dreaded."

"I used to look up to their love you know? Seeing them together is what made me so excited to find the one and fall in love," Amira sat down the food and drink and sat her chin on the back of her hands placed on his shoulder. "I'm sorry this is happening, honey. I wish I could make it better for you. For all of you. The kids are going to be so crushed."

Carter took a deep breath as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "Talk to me. Tell me what you're feeling at this very moment," He looked down at his fingers and thought for a moment. Amira rubbed her hand around his chest which caused his heartbeat to speed up. She paused at the pounding in his chest and laid her palm flat there, keeping it in place and feeling that rush that could only be described as love. "I feel...nothing." He admitted with a dry chuckle.

Amira nodded, rubbing her thumb over his heart.

"Because I knew it would happen eventually."

"But I think another part of me, the part of me that was blinded by all the shit my dad used to tell me as a kid, didn't want it to be true. I still love my dad but...my mom was there for us always twenty-four-seven while he was too caught up in work," He then chuckled dryly again. "And other women," He shook his head, slouched down, and crossed her arms.

"He just wasn't there enough for me to sympathize with him you know?" Amira nodded and hugged around his neck, kissing his forehead and keeping her lips planted there.

"I wish I could make it better."

"You're here, you and that's enough."

She smiled and combed her fingers through the side of his hair. "You know if you're not feeling up to it, we don't have to go," He closed his eyes, sunken deep into her arms, and shook his head. "Absolutely not. What do I look like giving up the chance to meet the family that made you the amazing woman you are today?" He grabbed her hand and kissed her fingers. "Not a chance are we turning back now."

Amira grinned shyly. "Really?"

"I want to meet your family. They're a part of who makes you, you, and I want to be a part of all of you and everything that you are. You're important to me so this is important too," Her breath hitched as he tenderly kissed up her arm. "I want to learn all that you were, all that you became, and all that you are. Take me to what will be the rest of my life."

She closed her for a moment and shook her head.

"I need you to stop."

"Stop what?" He genuinely looked confused.

"Being all romantic and husband material and shit. I'm trying really hard here not to hop on your dick right now," He almost laughed out loud at her blunt honesty. She was adapting to some of his traits which he secretly loved. He watched her eyes drag down his manspread position before setting a finger underneath her chin to turn her head away.

"My eyes are up here, baby. Try to keep it pg, k?" He teased and she pouted. "Then stop praising me so much."

"Can't. I'm obsessed with you and you know it."