33 ... sashane <3

friday
knights
33

☊ | track twenty-six—growing pains

CARTER ANNOYINGLY SIGHED sighing at the school building from his car. "Fucking hell," He muttered, stuffing his keys and phone inside his pocket before hopping out of the car and slamming it shut. Instead of Cato—which was their father's first call, Carter ended up having to pick up Diane since he was in class. If only coach didn't let him off early. He should've kept his mouth closed when asked why he was texting instead of running drills like the rest of the team. He did it to himself, now he had to pay the price.

Heading inside after being buzzed in, Carter headed straight for the office where he was greeted by a quiet comforting office with a few older ladies. Two were eating lunch and having a small conversation while the other was seated behind the counter typing on the computer. Her desk plate read 'Mrs. Davison'.

Her eyes paired up from the screen and onto him. She stopped typing and the other women paused mid-conversation. "You must be Ca—no!" She thought for a moment before snapping, "Carter," The woman smiled cordially and Carter returned a pursed-lip smile.

"Your father called to give us a heads up that one of you were coming, let's see," She reached for a clipboard and scrolled down a column of names. "My sister Diane," he saved her the trouble, leaning against the counter. His eyes darted to the left side of the room where the other ladies whispered about. They stopped when caught and Carter smirked whimsically. "Yes!" Mrs. Davison tapped on Diane's full name and check-marked it before sliding the clipboard across the counter toward him.

"Just sign her out and I'll phone her over."

Carter nodded and signed his name beside Diane's along with the time and date he came to pick her up. Mrs. Davison muttered into the office phone before hanging up just as he finished writing everything down. "Mrs. Monáe will let her out momentarily."

She pointed to a door next to the ladies who could not stop whispering. Carter's eyes darted to the door and he frowned in confusion. Mrs. Monáe appeared to be the guidance counselor. A guilty pit opened inside.

"Can I just say," One of the women from across the room spoke up. She had short black hair and looked old enough to be his aunt. "You look so much like your father, just as handsome," She said, flicking her wrist. Carter chuckled. "Thank you, ma'am. But you wouldn't believe just how much my brother and I hear that."

"Too often," He gritted under his breath with a smile.

"And congratulations on the win by the way. You brought us home again," The other woman chimed in and Mrs. Davison pointed a finger, nodding in agreement. "Yes, congratulations dear." She smiled.

"You ladies are too kind, now I'm having a hard time figuring out which one of you to take out on a date," He sucked his teeth and shook his head, charming them up further for fun which worked.

"Well I'm happily married, but Miss Moore hasn't been on a proper date since her early thirties," Mrs. Davison pointed toward the shy light-skinned woman with a candy red wig that gave shape to a crinkly bob.

"She's the one you want."

Carter glanced at Miss Moore in question, a brow raised. Her cheeks blazed a lighter shade of her hair as she gaped at the short plump black woman behind the counter. Carter chuckled as the ladies threw playful jabs of insults at each other until the counselor's door opened, revealing Diane and a tall slim woman with tiny long braids and a black pair of glasses around her black eyes. She almost resembled Diane in a way.