Chapter Twenty-Four

Lyla

This was precisely why Sebastian was so guarded about his secrets. I couldn't handle the truth as well as I'd like to. Nick. The same Nick who had kidnapped me and killed my grandfather was Sebastian's -. No, not Sebastian's anything, just Nick.

Sebastian had been adamant about not calling that man his father, and I could still remember how fiercely he had reacted when Luciano had made the mistake of drawing any comparisons. Now I understood why Sebastian was so different from Nick. Well... Sebastian did kill those four men, but he had done it to protect me, not to cause harm.

But that nagging voice in my head kept reminding me that Sebastian had taken over Nick's work, and that it was undoubtedly tied to the mafia. Sebastian was entangled in the mafia world, and Nick had wrecked my life.

My mind was on the verge of implosion. I needed a distraction, something to keep me from spiralling deeper into my thoughts, especially after such an emotionally charged therapy session. So, I observed Sebastian. He always seemed to know what I needed, even when I didn't know it myself.

He realised that I couldn't bear to stay at home today, so he brought me with him to keep me company. He also knew I needed information, but he was cautious not to reveal too much at once, perhaps because he was aware that I would be overwhelmed. Instead, he offered me a vital, albeit cryptic, piece of information.

Sebastian was now rummaging through a desk, claiming that he wasn't entirely sure what he was searching for. But it was clear to me that he wasn't being entirely honest about it. If he didn't want to share, I wasn't about to pry.

Turning my attention to the wall, where a locked safe was situated, I tried to focus my thoughts there. However, my gaze drifted to the portrait Sebastian had taken down, revealing a pair of unique eyes. "Is that your mum?" I blurted out.

I had already gathered that Sebastian was not fond of discussing his parents, but the question slipped out as I stared at the ice-blue orbs that reminded me of Sophia. The resemblance... their jet-black hair and the shape of their lips, even though their similarities ended there.

When he didn't answer, I looked back at Sebastian, who was already watching me. There was something he was holding back, but I was left to guess that it had something to do with her involvement in my kidnapping. He eventually confirmed, "Yes, that's her."

"She was beautiful," I remarked without thinking, then blushed and looked away when I noticed Sebastian, who bore a resemblance to his mother, smirking.

"Oh per favore, come se non sapessi già che sei stupendo da morire." (Oh please, like you haven't already known you are dead drop gorgeous.) I mumbled in Italian and instantly regretted it, remembering it isn't my safety net.

"Sono più superficiale di quanto sembri, non alimentare il mio ego." (I'm more shallow than I look, don't feed my ego.) Sebastian's casual response made me want to be swollen by the earth, but I was glad he didn't tease me more.

It really wasn't a new revelation, he sure owned a mirror or two in a mansion of his own. So I continued to observe the portrait, pretending I wasn't all blushed and the more I looked at it, the more it reminded me of Sophia. Then, Sebastian unexpectedly blurted out, "She wasn't like him."

I raised an eyebrow, my unspoken questions apparent on my face. Sebastian chose to explain, his gaze fixed on the portrait he had initially ignored. "She wasn't like Nick. I once even asked her how she felt for a monster like him in the first place, because they were nothing alike. My mother was kind and loving, and she..." He stopped himself, his gaze returning to me.