Chapter Nineteen

Sebastian

As we turned into the driveway, I noticed Lyla's unease, and she seemed to be on edge. Still, I respected her decision not to brake, understanding that she needed to maintain control. I silently provided her with the security she sought, staying by her side.

Light rain began to fall as I parked the car outside my house, and I could almost envision Lyla rolling her eyes as she remarked, "Of course you live in a castle."

"Did you expect anything else?" I playfully teased, matching her mood before stepping out of the car.

Toni, one of my security guards, promptly appeared with an umbrella, but I gestured for him to assist Lyla on the passenger side. She offered a grateful smile as he provided cover.

As we exited the car, she didn't let go of my hand, her tension palpable with security personnel patrolling the perimeter. I ensured she took in all the security measures in place before leaning in closer and repeating, "You are safe now."

Lyla squeezed my hand firmly and locked her green eyes onto mine. "Just don't leave me alone."

The vulnerability in her words cost her a great deal, I saw it and sensed it. I basically tasted it on my tongue, so I was careful to make my assurance clear, "That can be arranged," I kept a comforting hand on her back as I guided her into the house.

Upon entering, Tobi stepped back to handle the car, while a housemaid rushed over, taken aback by the distressed woman beside me. "Mr. Sinclair," she acknowledged with a nod, her gaze shifting to Lyla.

"Maria, meet Miss Marino. She will be staying here for the time being. Ensure she is well taken care of," I instructed, and the housemaid nodded again.

"Of course, Mr. Sinclair."

Lyla offered another polite smile, her voice barely audible as she mumbled, "I am probably not Marino." I refrained from responding, as I lacked an answer.

Relief washed over her when Luciano confirmed her first name, but her last name appeared to be a different story, suggesting that her parents might have given up searching for her long ago. It was something I couldn't not rest my mind off.

If someone had taken Sophia from me, I would not have rested, slept, or paused for even a second until she was safely back with me.

I still vividly recall the day Nick had sent me away to carry out his bidding, a ploy to lure me away and snatch Sophia from my grasp. I can still taste the seething rage that had overwhelmed my common sense when I discovered his treachery. I was so incensed that I abandoned years of hard work, blood, sweat, and tears to bring Nick down, discarding everything I had built in one fell swoop just to reclaim her. My existence revolved around Sophia, and I couldn't fathom parents who would relinquish their child so easily.

I longed to delve into research to uncover answers for her, but my immediate concern was her well-being. I refused to repeat the mistake of assuming that ensuring someone's safety equated to physical security alone. There were numerous lessons I pledged not to ignore after encountering Lyla on that bridge. Therefore, despite my eagerness to immerse myself in research, my top priority was her.

Lyla remained quiet as I led her to the guest bedroom, opening the doors for her. She entered, glanced around, and then turned to me. "Will the police be able to trace you?"

Her question caught me off guard, and I responded honestly, "Don't worry about it; I have the police under control." Lyla furrowed her brows, but I opted not to provide further details as I stepped into the room.

Pointing to the first white door, I said, "That door leads to the bathroom, and the other one is a closet. I'll ensure your belongings are moved there as soon as possible."