Chapter Thirteen

Lyla

"Girl, spill the details, how was the date?" Sam practically burst into my apartment the moment I opened the door, bearing two bottles of red wine and a steaming pizza.

I chuckled at his eagerness but was relieved to see Sam again. I wouldn't admit it to him, but I spent most of the day eagerly awaiting his company. I wasn't very good at being alone.

"It was good, but there isn't that much to say. I was home before midnight," I replied, watching as Sam's eyes lit up mischievously.

"Alone?" he inquired.

"Yes, alone," I rolled my eyes. "I barely know the guy. Stop with that look." Waving him off, I headed to the kitchen. "Until yesterday, I didn't even know his dad came from Russia. That would have been nice information to have beforehand about a fellow immigrant," I called out from the kitchen as I struggled to reach the glasses on the top shelf.

"Oh, please, fellow immigrant, my ass. Tom was born and raised in London; I wouldn't call him a fellow," Sam muttered as he came up behind me. "You know, you could have just asked me instead of doing this ninja stuff," he added, taking the glasses from my hand as I climbed off the counter.

"Well, it would still have been good to know. I felt like it was a bit of common ground between us," I admitted, grabbing a bottle opener, napkins, and plates. "And unfortunately, you're not around enough to get everything from the top shelves for me, so I'm learning to be more independent," I shrugged. But Sam smiled at me in a different way than usual, so I furrowed my brows and asked, "What?"

With an easy shrug, Sam began walking back to the living room where I had set up the TV and arranged all the blankets I could find in the house. When I caught up with him, he was still looking at me with that special smile.

Then he explained, "I feel oddly proud of you. I know we haven't known each other for very long, but you're such an easy and natural person to get along with that I feel like I've known you for way longer."

I could only nod because I felt the same. Sam continued, "And you know, Sebastian told me how you met and stuff."

I stiffened at the mention of that night, the memory trying to creep back in and ruin the moment. But Sam kept talking, dispelling the dark clouds. "I'm so proud of how well you're handling all of this. How you don't want to just lie in bed all day and how you went out with Tom yesterday. You're an incredibly strong young woman, and I'm glad to be your friend."

My eyes watered as I closed the distance to Sam and hugged him. He instantly wrapped his arms around me, and I admitted, "I wouldn't be this strong if I didn't have you." I sniffled, and he squeezed me a bit harder, sharing his strength and warmth. "And Sebastian, actually. I wouldn't be here at all if not for him."

"I know he kind of saved your life, but please don't let him steal my thunder," Sam teased, and I laughed with him comfortably.

I didn't have the heart to tell him about my struggles with being alone, the inability to sleep in the dark, and the nightly nightmares that shook me awake. I wanted Sam to be proud of me, even if I couldn't make myself proud. I knew I needed to learn how to be by myself, but I also needed to know that I had someone supporting me from the sidelines.

Sam made it easy to be relaxed around him, and when we both sat on the sofa to watch "F.R.I.E.N.D.S," I rested my head on his shoulder, feeling at ease and not dwelling on the fact that I would soon have to face another night alone in my large apartment.

***

Both of us were big fans of the show, to the point where we recited some of our favourite lines along with the actors and laughed while getting tipsy on delicious wine.