Let the Journey Begin

Elara, now fourteen years old, raced through the hallowed halls of the White Tower, her heart pounding in her chest as she desperately attempted to make up for her tardiness

Elara, now fourteen years old, raced through the hallowed halls of the White Tower, her heart pounding in her chest as she desperately attempted to make up for her tardiness. Her steps were swift, but her thoughts were swifter, racing toward the crucial meeting with both her mothers, the Amyrlin Seat Siuan Sanche, and Moiraine Sedai.

Bumping into Aes Sedai and novices along the way, she offered hurried apologies and quick curtsies before continuing her mad dash. With her brown hair streaming behind her like a banner, she was a whirlwind of energy and determination.

Finally, the meeting chamber came into view, and she accelerated, only to be halted abruptly by the One Power itself. An unseen hand, gentle yet firm, brought her to a standstill, and she dared not defy it.

"Walk," came the command, delivered in a voice as unyielding as the earth itself. She offered a slight nod, acknowledging the power that held her, and dutifully walked around the corner, now at a more reasonable pace, her smirk revealing her inner amusement.

As she entered the room where her mothers waited, her curtsey was graceful, but her playful defiance still gleamed in her eyes. The Amyrlin Seat, Siuan Sanche, regarded her with a mixture of stern authority and a hint of bemusement.

"You are late," Siuan stated with an arch of her brow, her no-nonsense demeanor firmly in place.

Elara met her gaze, offering a sheepish smirk. "My apologies mothe-, Amyrlin. I was unavoidably detained."

Siuan's eyes, however, held a warning. "An Aes Sedai cannot tell a lie, child. Remember that."

Elara's smirk grew mischievous. "I will keep that in mind."

Moiraine, with her signature sternness, took the lead in addressing her daughter. "Lan and I will be leaving in the morning to gather more information and search for the Dragon Reborn."

Elara's eyes widened in both shock and excitement. "Why are you just now telling me this? I should have started packing weeks ago."

Moiraine exchanged a glance with Siuan, the unspoken understanding between them clear. Elara, noticing their exchange, crossed her arms, her voice tinged with frustration.

"Because you did not want me to come with you," Elara accused, her shoulders slumping.

Moiraine's voice softened as she tried to explain. "Elara, it's not that we don't want you to come. It's just that the journey could be dangerous."

Elara sighed with exasperation. The tension in the room grew palpable as she stood from her chair, her frustration evident.

Siuan, in her authoritative voice as the Amyrlin Seat, interjected. "You are just a child, Elara. When the time comes, you will be where you are needed. For now, you are needed here, in the safety of the White Tower."

Elara, a simmering mixture of anger and impatience, shot back, "A child? Really, Mother? I've spent nearly eight years within these walls. I've followed every rule, trained diligently, and studied every inch of this tower. I could have been an Accepted Aes Sedai already if you had just let me go through the Silver Arches. I am ready to help in the fight against the Dark One. I am prepared for it!"