Machin Shin

Rand's urgent calls echoed through the dark expanse of the Ways as Mat remained trapped on the other side of the closed Waygate

Rand's urgent calls echoed through the dark expanse of the Ways as Mat remained trapped on the other side of the closed Waygate. Egwene's pleas joined Rand's, a chorus of desperation permeating the air. The group stood in the shadowed gloom, grappling with the sudden separation.

"Hurry up! Mat!" Rand's urgency filled the void.

Egwene, her voice tinged with worry, echoed the sentiment. "Mat!"

But Mat's response remained elusive, the Waygate sealed, separating him from the others. Rand's calls persisted in an unyielding attempt to bridge the gap. "Mat! No!"

Nynaeve, a voice of reason amid the chaos, intervened. "Stop! You need to open it again."

Lan and Moiraine, standing with a torch in hand, observed the unfolding drama. Nynaeve, determined, accepted the torch from Moiraine, who took a step forward. "We are not leaving without him."

Moiraine, resolute, delivered a cold truth. "He made his choice."

Rand, however, challenged the assertion. "Did he? Or did you make it for him?"

Moiraine, aware of the darkness within Mat, defended her decision. "You know the darkness in him. You know it better than anyone. Do you really think he's ready for what lies ahead?"

Rand, unwavering, affirmed his belief. "Of course he is."

Moiraine, pragmatic and focused on their mission, urged them forward. "We've already wasted too much time. Stay close."

With determination, she handed her torch to Nynaeve and pressed on. Nynaeve, grappling with conflicting emotions, asserted the need to open the Waygate. "We need to open the Waygate."

Egwene, uncertain of their capabilities, questioned, "How? We can barely channel..."

Loial, the Ogier, offered a somber explanation. "Unfortunately, reopening the Waygate would be impossible. There cannot be any use of the One Power within the Ways. To do so would be to throw yourself at Machin Shin and ask it to feast on your soul."

Nynaeve, faced with the grim reality, held the torch and considered their predicament. "What is Machin Shin?"

Loial, prioritizing Moiraine's pace, excused himself. "Moiraine Sedai is moving quite quickly. And we Ogier are not known for our... speed. If you'll excuse me."

Rand, persisting in his concern for Mat, voiced his convictions. "Listen, this is Mat we're talking about. We can't just leave him."

Egwene, grappling with the situation, retorted, "We didn't leave him. He left us."

Rand, unwilling to accept that explanation, pressed further. "You don't actually believe that, do you?"

Perrin, a voice of pragmatic desperation, added, "Then what are we going to do? We can't open the Waygate. We can't find our way out of here without them. Should we just sit down and die?"