Shadows Waiting Part 2

As they journeyed on, Lan continued to scout the path ahead and returned with unsettling news of Whitecloaks approaching

As they journeyed on, Lan continued to scout the path ahead and returned with unsettling news of Whitecloaks approaching. Elara's eyes filled with fear as she looked at Moiraine and Lan. She knew the Whitecloaks were notorious for their cruelty towards Aes Sedai, which sent shivers down her spine.

Moiraine reassured Elara, her voice calm and steady, "Do not worry. We will handle this." With a quick motion, she slipped her Aes Sedai ring from her finger and handed it to Lan for safekeeping. Moiraine instructed the group, "Do not speak unless spoken to and answer their questions as truthfully as you can. Do not mention the White Tower or Aes Sedai. I am a lady from a fallen house, and you are under my care."

Elara and the others nodded in agreement, understanding the gravity of the situation.

The regiment of Whitecloaks soon arrived and demanded that they dismount. Their questions were thorough, probing, and expectant, yet surprisingly not unkind. Geofram Bornhald, the commander of the Whitecloaks, appeared to be more straightforward in his inquiries.

However, the situation took a turn for the worse when Eamon Valda, a member of the Questioners, the more zealous sect of the Whitecloaks, stepped forward. Valda was arrogant and condescending, and his questions bordered on threats. He invaded Moiraine's personal space and ran his hands along her body, pushing Lan to the edge of his patience. The Whitecloaks proceeded to search Elara as well, which didn't sit well with Lan.

"I am from the Borderlands, where men know how to keep their hands to themselves, lest they lose them," Lan growled protectively, standing his ground. Elara, though slightly amused by Lan's unwavering defense of her, maintained her composure.

Despite the tense encounter, the Whitecloaks eventually allowed the group to go on their way. Elara, with a hint of sarcasm, offered her parting words, "Light be with you."

One of the Whitecloaks replied, "The Light is always with you. It needs no instruction. I will not forget your faces should we meet again."

With that, the two groups parted ways, each continuing their respective journeys.

As the group continued riding, Elara and Egwene found themselves sharing a quiet conversation

Egwene questioned Elara, her tone inquisitive, "You said Aes Sedai couldn't break the Three Oaths."

Elara replied, "They can't."

Egwene persisted, "Moiraine did today."

Elara chuckled softly, "She did?"

Egwene explained, "That Whitecloak, she lied to him. She has a sister in Whitebridge?"

Elara smiled and replied, "All Aes Sedai are her sisters. We will always tell the truth. It just may not be the truth you think you hear. So listen carefully."

With this newfound understanding, they continued their journey, engaging in light-hearted conversation, sharing songs, and exchanging stories, strengthening their bond as they rode on.