Chapter 1 (Ella)

I could feel my skin tearing apart from the brutal friction between the rough asphalt and my bare feet

I could feel my skin tearing apart from the brutal friction between the rough asphalt and my bare feet. But the pain senses were blocked. My heart was racing furiously inside my chest. How much strain can a heart take? Was I breathing at all? My vision was blurry, but I stared desperately into the impenetrable darkness. My body was trying to tell me to stop. But I couldn't stop. I had to go on. I had to run. To run away.

The leaves of the trees around the road rustled ominously. It was as if they were whispering something to me. It was like someone was whispering from behind.

A feeling of dread had taken over my whole being. A sense of despair and hopelessness raged in my veins. But I couldn't turn back. I couldn't risk wasting even a second. I had to go on. To keep running. To run away.

The moon looked bloody that night. The whole night was bloody. Bathed in the scent of blood. Still fresh on my hands. Fresh still on the snow-white ethereal tulle. On the snow-white long veil. Soaked in the white satin.

It was a bloody night. I was all bloody. But I had to go on. I had to run. To run away.

Black shadows flew high into the sky—the birds of the night. I looked up; it was like they were gathered to celebrate death.

A mighty car horn pierced through the silence, accompanied by the sound of screeching brakes. And light. Right before me. Bright and dazzling. Was that the light of my salvation?

Just a split second. Boom! A little more pain. And then complete darkness again.

***

I opened my eyes slightly. That was not heaven. Was I in hell?

I moved a little. My body responded with a killing pain. I was alive. Why was I alive? Where was I?

My gaze, still not quite able to see clearly, drifted left and right. Dark grey walls surrounded what I could see. Nothing more.

Wait. There was a shadow in front. The shadow moved toward me. I squeezed my eyes and opened them again. It was a man. He stood by the bed I was lying at.

I screamed in fear when I finally managed to focus on the figure. The man was tall. Very tall. Dressed in a black t-shirt and baggy camouflage pants. Dark medium long hair was styled back with a way too large amount of hair detergent. His one eye was covered with an eye patch, and down below, a huge rough scar reached all the way to his chin.

It seemed that he smiled at me.

I screamed once again with a full voice.

"Hello, ma'am," the man said with a husky voice. He really smiled at me.

The stretching of his lips looked so creepy on his face, nothing to do with an emotion that could cause such a grimace.

My voice raised again.