14: Just What All Do You Know?

It was a sunny morning when Natsu and Gray woke up. Despite having a restful night's sleep, they were still exhausted. The sun shone in the hut where they were staying, and Happy sat in shock and worry by Lucy's empty bed.

"Hey, Happy, where's Lucy?" Natsu asked while rubbing his eyes. Happy turned to face the fire dragon, and his eyes were filled with pure anxiety.

Happy reported, "She's gone."

"Gone? What do you mean she's gone?" Gray asked as he got dressed for the day.

"What?! She got a head start before us! What the hell, man?!" Natsu shouted, annoyed and irritated, that Lucy had gone before them. He was thinking that the celestial wizard was going to investigate without him. "We're a team, damn it!"

"She's been gone for a long time, Natsu. Her smelly scent isn't fresh." Happy snickered as he pointed it out. It caused Natsu to pause and sniff the area.

"Yeah, you're right. Happy, her scent is stale. Not only that, I don't smell Morana either." The Fire dragon paused as worry filled all three mages.

"You don't think Lucy went to find Morana, do ya?" Gray asked. It was a theory he had, knowing it wouldn't be easy to get off this island since they were shipwrecked. It made sense that Lucy would be brave enough to try to find the ice dragon.

"There's only one way to find out," Natsu said. Before beginning their investigation of their job, the three of them set out to locate their female companions. Luckily, one of the guards provided them with information. They claimed that after seeing Lucy leave the village, she encountered the ice woman. The beach was the best place for them to look.

It didn't take them long to reach the shore and find Lucy asleep in the sand. Concern washed over them as they raced towards her.

"Lucy!" Gray shouted. They got to her side, and Gray was gentle as he shook her awake. Morana's coat was covering her like a blanket.

"Wake up! Why are you sleeping on the beach?" Natsu shouted.

"Aye! That's a strange place to sleep, you know." Happy added as he looked around and noticed the camp set up.

"Huh? Natsu? Gray?" Lucy woke up as she looked at the two, confused. "What's going on? Where's Morana?"

"That's what we want to know. How come you're out here?" Gray asked as he looked at her, concerned.

"Oh...I couldn't sleep, so I went out to search for Morana and found her. She made a camp out here on the shore. I guess I fell asleep." Lucy explained as she stretched out.

"Her scent's stale here. She must have been gone for a long time." Natsu pointed out, "Why would she leave you on your own?"

"Yeah, that seems kind of messed up if you ask me," Gray added as he stood up.

"She left me?" Lucy mumbles. Her thoughts were drawn back to her conversation last night and what Morana had shared with her.

"Something wrong, Lucy?" Gray took note of the concerned look on Lucy's face as she was left in her thoughts.

"Um...yeah...I'm just worried about Morana, that's all." Lucy stood up and stretched out.

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened last night?" Gray asked. He had a suspicious feeling that something was wrong with Morana. Out of all the missions he worked on with her, this one was the most unusual.

Lucy was worried about her friend, and even more so now that it was clear that Morana left sometime after she had fallen asleep. "Well, we just talked about her distaste for the demon species," she explains.