12. The Ice Cold

Depuis le début

"FORTH!" 

Forth stuttered when Park hit his thigh hard. "What, Park? Why are you screaming?" Forth asked in surprise. 

"I called you a few times and you floated away into space," Park grumbled. "What were you thinking about, that you didn't notice your surroundings?"

"I'm thinking about something important," muttered Forth. 

Park and Lam looked at each other with raised eyebrows. 

"Do you think it's possible to fall in love with someone even though it's the first time we see them?" Forth asked seriously. 

"Hm? Of course you can," answered Lam.  "You know the story about me and Park, right?" 

Park smiled and stroked Lam's arm.  "That story always makes me feel flattered, babe," said Park. 

Lam smiled and leaned in, kissing Park. 

"Who are you in love with, Forth?" Park asked. 

Forth didn't answer and just sighed.  "Don't discuss it, it's just a stupid question that came into my head," answered Forth. "Come on, get up, our turn will come soon."

Meanwhile in Forth's room at the villa, Beam had just woken up. He stretched and winced a little when he felt his whole body ache and ache. 

Beam turned to the nightstand and saw the alarm clock. He had slept for almost three hours after Forth went to the festival and didn't wake up at all. 

Beam saw a small note on the nightstand, suppressed by a key with a ring in the shape of a bear's head and a strip of painkiller. 

"I prepared mushroom soup with prawns, garlic bread, salmon steak, mashed potatoes and salad for you, in the microwave in the kitchen. Eat it, then drink the 2 painkilling tablets. Take a warm shower, then come to the beach. Sorry, if I would have caused you pain, Baby Beam, but... you are very charming and made me forget myself. Lock the door before you leave. Forth." 

Beam chuckled reading the note and got up. For him, every one night stand he had with women who offered themselves to him, always ended without any meaningful words. 

He didn't allow himself to stay overnight or sleep afterwards, let alone prepare food for the women. He would just leave like that, without bothering to look again at his sex partner who was sleeping exhausted. 

Why did receiving Forth's treatment now make him feel confused? 

Beam took a relaxing bath, soaking in a tub filled with warm water. Forth had even prepared lavender and lemongras-scented aromatherapy oil on the edge of the bathtub and there was another small note telling Beam to drip the oil into the water in the bathtub. 

He also put a thick clean towel and a change of clothes, a dark blue t-shirt and beige knee-length cargo pants, and new underwear, placed on top of the towel with another note saying that it was new clothes that had never been worn because of the size too small for Forth, but he was sure it would be enough for Beam.

When Beam put it all on, he looked at himself in the full-length mirror and frowned. 

"This is too much," Beam muttered to himself. 

Forth had just finished putting sunscreen on his body, when he saw Beam joining Wayo, Phana, and Kit, on the beach where visitors could watch the surfing competition. 

Forth's forehead furrowed. Why didn't Beam wear the clothes he prepared earlier?

Curious, Forth approached Beam while carrying his surfboard. "Nong Beam, have you just arrived?" said Forth. 

The corners of Beam's eyes twitched and he nodded with a straight face.  Forth motioned for Beam to follow him to the other side.  Phana and Kit watched their friend follow Forth. 

"What happened to them?" asked Phana confused. 

"Yeah. Beam's face looks like ... that time," Kit muttered. 

On the other hand, Forth looked at Beam carefully. "Baby Beam, are you okay?" Forth asked gently. "Have you eaten? Take medicine?" 

Beam looked at Forth calmly and nodded. "Yes, I've done everything, Phi. Thank you." 

Forth was confused by Beam's cold attitude and thought Beam might be annoyed because he felt sick. 

"Did I cause you that much pain?" Forth asked carefully. "Are you angry, Baby?" 

Beam smiled faintly. "It's okay, I can handle it and I am not angry with you." 

"Why don't you wear the clothes I prepared for you? Are they too big?"  Forth asked, noticing the white shirt and blue shorts that Beam was wearing. 

"It's okay, I just don't want to wear it," Beam said flatly. "Phi, can I ask you to do something?" 

Forth's face looked happy. "Of course. Say, what is it?" 

"Don't ever bring up about this morning again. I'll forget about it and I think you should too. Thank you for the food and medicine." 

Forth was stunned to hear Beam's words. Without waiting for Forth to answer, Beam turned around and walked back towards where he was standing with the others. 

The beach breeze in the afternoon still felt humid and hot, but Forth shivered, staring at Beam's distant back.

***