1

I couldn't believe i was here. Only yesterday I was breathing my last breaths in chicagos air. Now, today I'm here in Barcelona. I still had a few days til uni started so why not explore around with my mom. It was our 3rd or 4th time here in Spain. We loved it, mostly me. I loved everything about spain. I'm so grateful to have only had good experiences here, and now I live here.

.....

We went shopping for my apartment and got food. My moms flight was tomorrow morning so we didn't sleep much. We discussed everything important like fees, bank accounts, transport, uni, and more. I helped her pack and went with her to the airport. We said goodbye and I went in with her to make sure she knew where she was going.

....

I was still new to this city despite visiting previously so I thought why not be a tourist for a day. I got dressed up nicely, took some cash and packed my necessities and headed out for the day. I texted the family gc to let them know my plans in case anything happened.

First I decided to go to a cafe. It was not that popular but it had its fair share of customers. Obviously, I started learning Spanish the summer before so I could be useful here. So I tried to order in Spanish with some help of my translator app.

I was scanning the pastries placed behind the glass screen when the cashier spoke up, "Buenos días, ¿cómo puedo ayudarte hoy? (Good morning, how can I help you today?)"

"Buenos días, um, ¿Podría por favor traer el croissant de chocolate? ( Could I please get the chocolate croissant) and uhm, Café con leche de caramelo (the caramel latte)" I say struggling

The girl next to me started smiling looking at me. I look back and smile in return. "¿Hablas español?" She said smiling, slightly giggling. I laugh slightly back, "si si". She jokingly laughed at my sarcastic eye roll. "Are you new here?" She asked.

"Well I've just moved here, but I've visited before" I say turning fully facing her. "I'm aurora", she says smiling enthusiastically putting her hand out for me to shake. "Elena", I say smiling back shaking her hand.

The girl was gorgeous. Her different colored eyes. Her nice brown highlighted hair. It's not like I didn't know who she was. I just didn't want to her to think I was a freak. It's not a coincidence that I'm here at this cafe. It's unknown, but I know it because of her. Her frequent posts of this cafe led me here because that'd mean she'd be here too.

"Are you here by yourself?" She asked looking at me picking up my order. "Yeah" I say a bit embarrassed. "You can join me if you'd like, I'm by myself as well" she says pointing towards an empty table. I smile in place of a "yes".

She leads and I follow. We reach the seats and we start talking more. She tells me a lot about Barcelona. She mentions her family briefly. No specifics yet just "brother". She's smart though, she's remembering not to say her brothers name. Good for her. But I'm not here for her brother.