Chapter 24

2 years ago

2 years ago

"Mom wants you," Jasmin swung my door open with no regard for my privacy.

I pulled the covers from over my head, the soft glare from the sunset blinded me. I sighed, throwing the covers over my legs and sitting up.

Another day wasted.

My mom waited for me in the living room, she lounged on the couch and pointed for me to sit on the chair adjacent to her.

"Yes, Mom?" I sat myself down.

"We need to talk, Jade. I don't know what's going on with you but you need to snap out of it. Your grades are slipping and all you do is waste the day in bed."

I heard snickering from behind, probably my little siblings laughing at how much of a failure I was. I sighed, casting my eyes down to the floor, "Sorry." I couldn't think of anything else to say. My mother wouldn't understand if I told her how I felt. She'd tell me I had nothing to be depressed over and scold me some more.

"Don't say sorry to me, say sorry to yourself. I'm going to need to have your phone until those grades come up." She outstretched her hand.

My heart seized in my chest, my phone was the only communication I had with my best friend who now lives states away. She would think I was ignoring her if I didn't answer her texts.

"Now Jade."

I handed her my phone with tears in my eyes. "May I go now?" my voice shakes.

Yes, you may. Get those grades up."

I walked past my siblings who were eavesdropping by the staircase. "Someone's in trouble," Jasmin giggled.

"Shut up," I muttered and trudged up the stairs. I went back to my bed and pulled the covers over myself again.

Nobody cares, I thought as I found myself drifting to sleep, where it doesn't hurt. Nothing matters.

The present

"Reid," I knocked on his door. He was late to pick me up for work. Usually, he would be outside by his car or waiting in my driveway.

The door opened and Mary appeared, her nose red and cheeks stained with tears. Her glassy eyes made contact with mine and I immediately took a step back.

"Ma," Reid came up from behind her, gently touching her shoulder. "Thanks, I got it." She nodded, wrapping her shawl around herself and heading deeper into the house.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to bang on your door like that," my eyes followed the older woman who looked like she would break at any second.

"It's okay," he gave me a sad smile.