Chapter 21

Either I was in an alternate universe or Reid was sitting on the same couch as my dad

Either I was in an alternate universe or Reid was sitting on the same couch as my dad. They sat next to each other, at least five feet apart. My dad held a book in his hand, silently reading to himself.

I scratched the side of my neck anxiously as I entered the living room. It didn't look like World War Three tore the place apart. A peace treaty must have been signed or something. Reid lay on the couch like he owned the place, tapping his fingers on the arm of the chair.

"Uhm Hello?" I tilted my head to the side.

"Morning," Reid beamed right back at me. "You slept well last night, princess?" He grunted when my dad backhanded him in the chest.

"Jesus, I was kidding, old man," Reid sucked in a sharp breath of air. He stood up, walked towards me, and stopped shortly. "I see where you get your attitude from," he leaned in, lowering his voice. Wisps of his soft hair tickled my forehead and temple. His warm caramel scent surrounds us.

I pushed him in the chest, kissing my teeth and turning away from him. "And who let you in?"

"Not me," my dad grumbled from the couch.

I figured as much.

"It was your mother." He shook his head in dissatisfaction.

My dear mother then came in, walking through the kitchen doorway. A bright smile on her face, "Jade, honey, good morning." She pulled me into a hug.

I sighed, wrapping my arms around her. Classic mom, making a big fuss out of everything, and then acting like nothing happened the next day. It's like her memory flushes every 24 hours.

"I had a talk with your little friend and I approve. You may continue to hang out with him. As long as you act accordingly, I don't mind."

I scoffed, looking away so she wouldn't see the annoyance on my face. "She approves." Okay.

I looked down to my stomach which rumbled loudly. Rubbing my belly, I floated over to the kitchen where the scent of dumplings and mackerel carried me. My grandma sat at the table eating her own serving of food.

She got up to fix a plate, but I forced her to sit down and finish her food. I stacked my plate till it felt like my hand would break under the weight and took a seat beside her.

"It's settled," I could hear my mom clap her hands in excitement. She jumped up from her seat with a wide grin on her lips.

"What's settled?" I asked from the kitchen, the fork in my hand hovering over my lips.

"We're going to Six Flags, a family trip. Your friend can come too," she jabbed a finger in Reid's direction.

My mouth dropped at her random invitation to Reid. He smiled smugly, sending a wink in my direction. Okay, what the hell happened? My mom doesn't just invite anyone on family outings.  My dad was in shock as well, his mouth left agape.