Chapter 17

"The car is going to take a few days to a week to finish

"The car is going to take a few days to a week to finish. We have a temporary car you can use for now," the greasy mechanic issued Ried a fresh set of keys. They landed in his hands with a soft clink. He wiped his hands with a rag, wiping the sweat off his forehead. "I'll call you when things look up," he nodded.

We managed a Lyft first thing in the morning to the car repair shop "Danny's Fixin." Reid of course somehow managed to befriend the driver in less than ten minutes and got us a 20% discount, which I wasn't entirely sure was possible. The temporary car we were given was a red five-seater Buick. We loaded the rest of the pastries in the car and got back on the road towards the church.

It was like any other day, hot as hell. I begged Reid to stop at a shopping outlet, somewhere I could buy decent clothes before we showed up at church. It was Sunday and I knew everyone would be dressed in their best.

I bought a decent dress for myself, a dress shirt, and slacks for Reid. He wasn't about to be embarrassing me with his sweats and t-shirt. People would immediately notice and it would only draw more attention to the two of us. Reid waited in the car, he raised an eyebrow at the bags in my hand.

"Whatcha got there Jade?" He raised his sunglasses, pushing them over his hair. He leaned his arms over the turned-down window and peered into the bag I handed him.

"Church clothes, go ahead and get changed." I flicked my wrist, encouraging him to do it now.

He sighed, taking his shirt off and pulling the light blue button-up shirt on. His finger swiftly buttoned the shirt and then he moved onto his sweats. He gripped the rim of them getting ready to pull them down when he paused and faced me.

"You're gonna watch me get undressed?" He smirked, cocking his head. "Like some sort of creep?"

I turned around, feeling my cheeks get hot," shut up, I wasn't watching!" I shook my head.

"Yeah, and your eyes weren't trained on my crotch before I said something. I saw you eyeing me down, it's okay to be attracted towards me. The ladies can't help it."

"I'm not attracted to you," I turned around, pointing an accusing finger. He was buttoning up the slacks.

"How'd you know my size?" He threw the bag in the back.

I shrugged, opening his car door "Wild guess." I may or may not have sneaked a look at his sweatpants tag when we first bought some clothes from the inn. "Now get out I have to get changed."

He chucked, hopping out of the car. I began taking off my shirt when I noticed Reid's eyes staring through the window. "What are you looking at?" I squinted my eyes.

"Not so nice when it's done to ya huh? Now you know how objectified I felt with your eyes flying all over my body."

I stared at him with dead eyes, "Turn around you, pervert."