Chapter 18

"Cheer up Jade," my grandma grabbed my chin

"Cheer up Jade," my grandma grabbed my chin. "You only got a few more weeks until you go home."

I shook her hand off, we were in the middle of the grocery store. I've been moping around the store and my Grandma thought I was upset. Well, I was, but for a different reason. I was bored again. I had taken for granted the days I went to work and hung out with Grant and Reid. They were probably at the beach swimming in the ocean and walking along the sand, like they do in the movies.

And here I was at a grocery store with my Grandma. Her comment, however, reminded me of the limited time I have here. I was going home in about a month and leaving Reid behind. A small part of me didn't like the thought of leaving him so soon. We just made up.

"Hey isn't this the dinner plate you used to beg for when you were little?" She held up one of those kid lunch trays you heat up in the microwave, a picture of kid penguins on the bottom. This one had dino nuggets, corn, and mashed potatoes.

"Ew, I had one of those and it tasted like melted plastic," I cringed at the taste making its way back into my memory. "Please get that thing away from me."

She kissed her teeth, setting the box down. "This is what I get for being nice to you huh," she pushed the cart away.

"No wait Grammy, don't walk away." I sighed and she strolled the cart elsewhere. She knows damn well I can't walk that fast with this knee. I groaned, accidentally dropping my crutches. "Fuck me."

"Such vulgar language," I heard a voice from behind me.

"Yeah and what about it," I turned around. A girl with brown skin and a couple of inches on me stood behind me. She bent down to pick my other crutch up and handed it to me.

"Thank you," I put the metal object under my arms.

She snorted nodding to my knee, "What happened there?"

"Long story, do I know you?" I tilted my head, trying to get a vision of this girl. She was dressed in the store's uniform so I assume she works here. Her name tag is titled, "Tia."

"Uhm, I hope not," she laughed, leaning back and crossing her arms. "You seem miserable."

"Wow. Thanks for staying the obvious." I rolled my eyes. Who is this girl and why is she talking to me?

"I get off at four if you want to not be miserable. You're a friend of Reid's yes?" She raised an eyebrow.

My ears perked at the mention of his name. "Yeah kind of. How do you know him?"

"Well, let's just say he was pretty popular in highschool, everyone knows him and his two friends. You seem nice and innocent, I don't see how you got yourself wrapped up in their bunch."

"I'm not wrapped up with anything I'm only friends with Reid."

"Maybe you can use a new friend then. If you ever feel bored." She handed me a slip of paper with her name and number on it.