Chapter 3

After Reid dropped me off at my grandma's I spent the rest of the day and the whole night installing box braids in my hair

After Reid dropped me off at my grandma's I spent the rest of the day and the whole night installing box braids in my hair. I parted medium sizes in the back and smaller ones in the front. When I was done dipping the ends, I didn't even applaud myself by taking the time to admire my masterpiece. I just wrapped it up and took my butt to bed at eight in the morning.

Two hours later I was awakened by my grandpa who was running around the house, securing his tie over his peach-colored dress shirt. His brown church shoes were on and the kaki pants he usually wore for the church.

I smacked a hand to my forehead, oh no, I forgot today was Sunday. Jasmin came out of her room in a decent dress, I wouldn't say it was appropriate for a church filled with the Jamaican elderly, but it was her funeral. June followed in his usual church attire as well. He looked just like Dad when he wore dress shirts.

"Jade, why aren't you up? We're leaving in five minutes, go get ready," he threw the covers off me and pulled me to my feet. My tired body sank back down into the cushion of the couch, too tired to stand.

"Come on child, I have to be at church early today." He dallied. My grandfather is always at church early, he's part of the services and brings bread and pastries from Publix for the members after.

"Vincent, leave the girl alone. She spent the whole night on her hair, there's no way she'll be able to stay awake in the church today," My grandma defended me. With great appreciation, I slipped myself back under the covers.

After a few whines from Jasmin, complaining that I should go, the group was off. Finally, the house was filled with peace and the atmosphere was serene. Barely three hours later the door was knocked on. I ignored it, it was probably just the mailman or something.

The knock sounded again, and then a third time. Ready to smash my head into the wall I got up from the couch and marched to the door. "What is it?" I said, too tired to care what the person on the other side may think.

A lady blinked her eyes, taking in my state. Her lips formed into a small 'o', she held a purse in her arms, her nails freshly done. I didn't take long to notice the other two men behind her. One a familiar face, and the other an older version of the first.

"Oh that's right, Alice goes to church at this time. I'm so sorry," The woman spoke, pinching the bridge of her nose. She shook her head, her blonde hair swaying behind her.

I sobered up quickly, "No I'm sorry ma'am, I didn't mean to answer the door like that." A chuckle was heard from behind her. I narrowed my eyes into a glare at the guy who took me to get hair supplies yesterday.

"Well, I must've gotten the time wrong. Alice told me we could come over around ten. I'm probably mistaken. We will just come back when she's here." She turned to leave, but I felt bad for being so rude, so I foolishly stopped her.

"No, you don't have to come back. My grandma should be home in a few minutes," I glanced at the time, services ends in fifteen minutes.

"Are you sure? I don't mind coming back," she smiled gently. The older man, I'm assuming her husband nodded his head in agreement with his wife.