Chapter 39- Secret Apology

Start from the beginning

Michonne looks from Glenn to me a few times before nodding. "Okay." Glenn whispers, turning and facing everyone else. 

"He didn't know you we're comin' last time," Hershel says, looking at the ground. 

There's a sort of dread in the air, everybody is avoiding everybody else's eyes. 

"And look what happened. Your eye is almost fully swollen shut, Oscar is gone, Adrian was shot, and Daryl's gone." 

"You can't stop me." Glenn growls, approaching Hershel. I don't know if I've ever seen Glenn this...not Glenn-like. Seeing him like this makes me realize I'm definitely not over him, or maybe it's the Dilaudid

"Rick would never allow this." Hershel tries to convince Glenn. Glenn's eyes never falter from Hershel's. "You really think he's in any position to make that choice?" "Think this through clearly. T-Dog lost his life here. Lori too, the men that were here. It isn't worth any more killin'. What are we waiting for? If he's really on his way, we should be out of here by now." 

"And go where?" Glenn spits. "We lived on the road all winter." "Back when you had two legs and we didn't have a baby crying for Walkers every four hours." "We can't stay here." Hershel continues. 

"Um..." Alyssa starts, standing up. Everyone looks at her. "What makes us so sure that we can't fight him? The five of you left, got Glenn and Maggie-so that's seven of you, and you guys fought their group. I mean, if seven of you can sneak in, grab Glenn and Maggie, and save Daryl n' stuff and only loose one person, we all have reason to believe that we can fight him together." She looks around, "All of us. Not just Michonne, Glenn, and Adrian." She glares at me, "And you're not doing it anyway because I'm sick of you leaving. You always come back injured." 

I scoff, "I mean, she's got a point." Maggie sniffs, turns, and storms off without a word, Glenn's eyes follow her. 

He thinks for a moment, holding eye contact with Alyssa. He looks at Hershel and narrows his eyes. "Alright." He sighs. "We'll stay put and we'll defend this place...for now." 

"Yay!" Alyssa giggles. "Jesus christ, there's no way you're killing anybody." I rustle her hair. "Hey! I could do it." I scoff, "Right." 

Glenn crouches back down and tells Carl that they're gonna go to the tombs and search for the breach. 

"You'll need some help." Michonne says, stepping forward. "No, in case anything happens, I need you out here." Glenn looks around at all of us. Anger rises in his eyes, "Who's on watch?" He quips. He scoffs and stands up, "Damn it." He whispers, walking away. 

Glenn pounds on the main cell door after going to check out the breach, Carl is right behind him. Beth runs over and unlocks the door, Glenn and Carl are covered in Walker blood. 

"The tombs outside the boiler room and overrun again." Glenn's voice is breathless. "That whole section had been cleared." Beth mentions, closing the cell door. 

"It's a steady stream of Walkers." Carl says, walking over to where Alyssa is standing. 

"We're wasting time." Hershel says, sitting at one of the tables. "The Governor's supposedly on the way and we're stuck in here with Walkers." 

The Dilaudid has worn off and I'm beginning to pick at my cuticles, Damien notices but doesn't say anything. "Trapped between a rock and a hard place." Carol mumbles. 

I lean over to Alyssa, "What the fuck does that mean?" "It means that both options are bad. Dangerous, risky, you know- the stuff you aim for." I scoff, "Nerd." She smiles and runs her fingers through her hair. Carl's eyes follow her every move.