Chapter 22 : Momentary

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"But your Mommy Lucia cooked your favorite spaghetti and meatballs-"

"Dad, she's not my mom and I'm not a kid anymore." JeMair cut his father's sentence.

"But didn't you like it before when she cooked it for you-"

"That was before I found out you were flirting with each other and cheating behind my real mother's back. Dad, stop insisting on making me accept her because that will never happen."

"Son..."

"I have to go somewhere. You can eat with Lucia since I already ate with my real Mom earlier." He said before walking away.

JeMair knew he hurt his father when he acted like that. He doesn't want to be a disrespectful son either but every time he thinks of what Logan did to her mother, Maire, he feels enraged. What angers him more is that of all the women his father could cheat with, why does it have to be Lucia? Why does it have to be the woman he treated as his second mother?

Lucia was Maire's best friend and also the one taking care of her since she got sick. He knew how close they were and while he was growing up, he treated Lucia like his second mother. Then one day, he saw her kissing Logan. He didn't want to admit to himself what he saw so he asked but to his disappointment, it was true. Logan and Lucia had been in a relationship behind Maire's back and they didn't even try to deny it. It shatters him but what can he do? He was just a kid before. He couldn't do anything. Even if he wants to leave, where will he go? He can't leave his mother alone. So, he decided he would stay but would never treat them like he used to. Not only did they betray his mother, Maire but also him.

'I shouldn't have trusted you.' He thought.

Driving his car, he folded the window to get some fresh air. He wiped away the tears that he didn't notice had fallen. He may look cold, calm, and expressionless outside but piles of untold emotions are buried deep inside his heart. He tried his best to be strong because he knew he was the only one who could protect his mother. For the person he once saw as a hero did nothing but betray him and her.

"Damn it." He cursed when he felt a tear fall down again.

JeMair stopped his car and saw that he was near a park. Since he headed out without any destination, he decided to kill some time there. It's nighttime so there aren't many people in the park. Most are lovers, and some are friends. There are also people who go jogging and do some other things. The wind was calm and relaxing. JeMair sat down on a nearby bench. He noticed a girl sitting with her back to him but he didn't mind as she seemed busy with her phone.

He sighed and closed his eyes as the wind touched his face, blowing his bangs off his face. "I wish I could just return to those times when I know nothing but happiness. I wish I had never grown up and learned things that would only torment me for the rest of my life. I wish I remained as clueless as I used to be." He whispered.

"But your knowledge and sadness can make you stronger. Your pain makes you value things that are irreplaceable." A familiar female voice made him open his eyes.

JeMair turned to the girl and he wasn't wrong. "Transferee?"

"I have a name." Nhissie rolled her eyes.

"What are you doing here? Why are you eavesdropping?" He asked.

Nhissie raised her eyebrow. "Uh, excuse me? I was sitting here first, you know?"

"Tss!"

"You're the one who chose to sit next to me."

"Fine, whatever." JeMair shook his head and sighed.

Nhissie stared at JeMair. He was wearing a black hoodie, grey sweatpants, and black sandals. His hair was a bit messy but he still looked as handsome as he could ever be. Although he seemed stressed and his eyes hid unexplainable emotions, Nhissie couldn't help but notice his handsome, almost perfect features. His long lashes, red lips, and perfectly carved eyebrows. His looks scream perfection.

"Stop staring at me." JeMair's voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Who's staring at you?" Nhissie rolled her eyes.

"Tch!"

"What's wrong with you? You looked troubled?" Nhissie asked and leaned back on the bench.

JeMair bitterly smiled and sighed. "Who wouldn't be bothered with everything that's happening at our school?"

"Are you scared?" Nhissie questioned.

"Scared..." JeMair sighed. "Perhaps I am. I'm scared because people are dying and yet I could do nothing."

"Don't think too much, everything will be alright once the culprit is caught."

"What if he doesn't get caught?" JeMair's question made Nhissie look at him. "What if he ends up killing everyone before even getting caught?"

"JeMair..."

"It's not like I'm scared for myself. I'm just worried about my classmates. Daive seemed calm but I know he's been thinking too much after what happened to Landerh. I may seem like I don't care about the world but I do, transferee. I don't want any more death." He said in a long litany.

Nhissie could understand where his worries are coming from. "I'm sure the authorities are doing their best with the investigation."

"Hmm. Maybe they are. But what if their best isn't enough?"

"JeMair, I know my cousin. He's in charge and he will do everything in his power to catch the culprit behind."

"I just wish no one gets hurt anymore," JeMair stated as he looked up at the sky.

The stars are twinkling and the moon is brightly shining. He could feel the wind getting cold. He looked to his side where Nhissie was sitting. He found himself smiling when he saw the latter grinding her palms towards each other. For some reason, just sitting there with her made him feel peaceful. When he turned his head to look at the sky, Nhissie looked at him too. His worried eyes can't be hidden. But despite that, his handsomeness still prevailed.