Chapter 9 : The Diary III

Chapter 9: The Diary III

March 13, 2023

She's as pretty as the flowers. Her eyes glimmer like the sea when the sun shines on it.

March 14, 2023

I love staring at her. She's like a living portrait. My feelings for her are like nature, because there is nothing I can do to stop them.

March 15, 2023

Oh? I described her like the sea the other day. How can I forget the fact that the sea was just a vast cemetery of unclaimed bodies? What did I get myself into?

March 16, 2023

Ridiculous! Why did I ever set my eyes on her? What will happen to me if I don't do what the task said?

March 17, 2023

As crazy as it sounds, I can't do it just to save my life. I'm running out of time, goodbye.

Everything seemed to be a narration. The diary's content was always the same. After the portrait, the first entry would be about a girl. The author described her a someone pretty but as the narration progresses, the description also become different. At the end of each, the author would talk about a task that was given. Then after that, it ends.

"You've been staring at that same page for almost ten minutes now." Launce snapped Nhissie out of her thoughts.

"I was just thinking..."

"Hmm?"

"What if the reason why this diary has different penmanship is because it was written by different people?" Nhissie whispered as if she was talking to herself as she closed the diary.

"That's not possible, partner. The diary was purchased only a week before Gela died and like the claim, it was hers." Laurence rebuke.

"But how can you explain the different timelines? The different calligraphies? Don't you think it's odd?" She raised her brows.

Launce shrugged his shoulders. "They all have the same subject though and the same sketch of a girl. If it was written by various people, no matter how similar they are, it would be hard to remain consistent." He explained.

Nhissie understood his point and she also think that it made sense yet she can't get rid of the feeling that there's a hidden message behind that diary. She sighed and placed the diary on the table. Nhissie's eyes fell on the marked calendar near the table. It's Sunday but she has to go to the office to fill up some report and check on the progress of the investigation regarding Miss Jinx's murder. They are still clueless of everything. No evidence, no suspect, no motive. Even if Mike Libra is a possible suspect, there's nothing pointing at him. They tried talking to him but he refused and because there's nothing to point at him, they can't get a warrant.

On the other hand, JeMair and Daive went to school to help clean the traces of blood left on the floor. It has been four days since he saw the horrifying scene of Miss Jinx lifeless body but JeMair still couldn't get rid of it from his memory. As he wiped the floor with a rug, the research teacher's terrified and lifeless eyes kept playing in his mind. The way she stared at him that day was like a stain he could never get rid of. Despite that, JeMair couldn't stop thinking of the transferee, Nhissie Gale Tales. Was she alright? Even if he tried hard not to let her see it, when Mister Joles collapse, she must have still caught a glance at the teacher's corpse. It's not like he's concerned, it's just that he knew how it felt to see a corpse in such condition for the first time.