Chapter 22 : Momentary

Chapter 22: Momentary

Nhissie parked her motorcycle in its usual spot. She was looking for the key to her front door when she noticed something stuck between her windows. She looked around but saw no one. Nhissie walked towards it and found that it was a piece of paper. As common people do, she opened it to check what was written inside.

"As I expected." She smirked.

"You should stop now while you still have the chance because once your time is up, you will have no choice but to fight to the bitter end. This isn't a warning, but rather a reminder of the fact that I don't want you to end up like those folks. But if you insist on going further, I'll be delighted to lend a hand. Let's meet together soon, Detective Nhissie Gale Tales. But don't get excited because I'll meet you without you even noticing it. It could be tonight or tomorrow or the other day. I might be standing in front of you but you'll never know. See you soon, Nhissie Gale."

Nhissie furrowed her brows as she read the content. It's the same handwriting but the content was a lot longer than before. She didn't expect it to be that long as the notes often contain only a few words of warning but now, it's not a warning. It's like an invitation letter. Yet what made her feel interested was the content of it. For some unknown reason, she felt a little excited by the fact that the mysterious note sender wanted to meet her or had been watching her. Was it because that mysterious sender could be the culprit she had been looking for? She doesn't know where that hint of excitement is coming from or the reason behind that strange feeling. Nhissie looked around once more but when she didn't see anyone, she proceeded to get inside her house.

"Sure. Challenge accepted." She whispered as she looked around smiling.

After getting in, she went straight to the bathroom and took a shower. The cold water running through her body gave her a relaxing feeling. After the relaxing bath, Nhissie got out with a content smile. Sitting down on the couch while drying her hair, she looked outside the window. It was already dark. At this time, she should be resting and lying on her bed, but for some reason, she doesn't feel tired or sleepy.

"Maybe I should take a walk. It might help me feel sleepy." She whispered to herself as she got up.

She wore a sweater and tied her hair into a bun. She gazed at the gun on her table, debating whether she should bring it or not, but in the end, she headed out with it. She has the reputation of being a good fighter, but a handgun comes in handy in an instance of danger. Nhissie shut her door and hopped on her motorcycle. Not far from her house is an appealing park. She doesn't typically go out, but when she saw it, she was intrigued. It's only a fifteen-minute drive without traffic, so it's really convenient for her.

On the other hand, JeMair was sitting on his bed with an empty can of beer in his hand. He's had four beers already yet he can't fall asleep. He stared at his laptop which had been opened but never turned on for almost an hour. He wanted to do something, maybe write an assignment but he just can't focus. Everything that's happening inside their school has been bothering him. He hasn't gotten over his best friend's passing yet but another death had occurred again.

The deaths of his classmates, their teacher, and everything at home were just too much for his introverted mind to handle. His best friend, Mike, who's the only person he could tell his problems to was killed. Now, he felt so alone. Lonely. He's really by himself now. All the thoughts inside his mind will be kept by him forever.

"JeMair, dinner is ready. Come and eat with us." His father's voice came from the door which interrupted his lonely thoughts.

He closed his laptop and put on a hoodie. "I'm not hungry. I already ate with Mom earlier." He said when he opened the door.