Chapter 6 : The Warning

Chapter 6: The Warning

Launce stood up to open the door but when he did, he was greeted by the cold air. No one was there. He was about to close the door but he happened to see a piece of paper left on the ground. He looked around, trying to find any sign of human but there's no one. He just shrugged his shoulders and picked it up before closing the door back.

"Oh? You're awake? Morning." He greeted Nhissie when he saw her making some coffee.

"You didn't sleep?" She asked and handed him a cup.

"Nuh, what about you?" Launce asked back.

"I did get a little nap. I have to wake up early since I have school to attend." The though made Nhissie chuckle. She took a sip of her coffee when she caught a glimpse on the piece of paper Launce was holding. "What's that?"

"Oh, this?" Launce shrugged his shoulder. "I don't know. Someone left it at the front door."

"Let's see." Nhissie walked towards her partner. "STOP! LEAVE!" They read.

"What is this? What does that mean?" Launce asked furrowing his brows while Nhissie rushed to the door to look outside but of course, she didn't see anyone. "A warning?"

"You didn't see who sent it?" She asked.

Launce shook his head. "Nope but maybe the CCTV did." He smiled and went to check on the monitor.

The CCTV did, as expected, get something in particular. The video began at 5:30 in the morning, when the outside was dark and the only source of light was the few street lights near the house and the flickering lightbulb on Nhissie's front door. The surrounding area was deafeningly quiet for about fifteen minutes as they anxiously observed until the CCTV captured movement at exactly five-forty. A figure began to approach the front door. It was impossible to tell who he was because he was dressed in a black hoodie, a black ballcap, and a black mask. He didn't ring the doorbell right away; instead, he began pacing back and forth, constantly checking behind him.

"Who could this be? What's he doing?" Launce asked as he stare at the screen.

"I don't know but whoever this is, he's running away from someone, I think." Nhissie mumbled.

After repeating the same action for about five minues, the person finally dropped the paper and rang the doorbell before he flew on the other direction. The CCTV even caught Launce opening the door and checking until he picked up the paper.

"We need to find out who that person is." Nhissie took a deep breath.

"But how? We can't see his face." Launce looked at her.

"I don't know. Let's talk about it later, I still have to prepare to go to school." Nhissie smiled and patted his shoulder.

After a while, Launce left to go to the office while Nhissie prepared to go to school for her undercover investigation. However, the thought of the mysterious sender never left her mind as she drove to Reid Monte High School. On the other hand, the class was filled with chatters and teasing again as students begun to arrive one by one.

"Hey, Aly, what do you say about a one-on-one match later?" Gero wrapped his arm around his friend's shoulder.

Aly quickly removed it crossed her arms. "You lost to me last time, what chance are you gonna win today?" She teased.

"I'm subbing for him." Rome, the class celebrity interrupted.

Aly smirked. "Do you have time, though?"