Chapter 13 : Sleepless Night

Chapter 13: Sleepless Night

Nhissie has been up all night. The dark circles under her eyes says it all. She looks tired and she had sighed multiple times she'd lost count. There are three empty cups of coffee lying on top of her table. She has been staring at the additional photos pasted on the glass board in her living room.

"How's JeMair doing? Is he awake?" Launce asked as soon as he sat down. He looked so tired and visibly sleepless too.

Nhissie shook her head. Working in undercover as a student and helping with the investigation is making her exhausted but she couldn't quit. After Mike Libra's death, she had promised herself that she'll hunt the culprit no matter what. She'll bring him to justice and make sure that those who fell victim to him will rest in peace.

"Poor kid."

"It's been two days but he's still unconscious. He must have been very shock upon seeing his friend like that." She sighed.

"I mean, at his age, who wouldn't? Mike Libra was his friend, one moment he was alive then he was dead." Launce commented with a tired voice.

"But who would do such evil thing? Mike was just a high school student for God's sake. He's not even that talkative." Nhissie gave out a deep sigh.

"You told me he's the one who said that Mister Joles has the original CCTV footage, right? The same footage that I found inside his pocket."

"Yeah. He told me before he died. What are you suggesting?"

"We can call Mister Joles in as a person of interest. The forensics hasn't found any trace of fingerprints yet but with the victim's statement, we can do something." Launce suggested.

"That victim is already dead, Launce. We can't call that valid. Also..."

"What?"

Nhissie looked at him with hesitation. "Mister Joles seemed really close with the students. Could he really do that despite their bond?"

"You said crime knows no age but it knows no relationship either." Launce shrugged.

Nhissie bit her lips and sighed. "Everyone was worried about JeMair, Mike Libra died inside the school, Miss Jinx case hasn't calm down and now we have to call Mister Joles as the suspect for Mike's case. This case is exhausting."

"Don't worry, I'll handle the case. You can resume your own investigation secretly and I'll do the same the opposite way." Launce gave ger a reassuring smile.

"We have to work harder, Launce. We can't let the culprit take another life. Not on our watch." Nhissie took a deep breath as she stood up.

"I know. We never failed in solving difficult cases. We will succeed again this time, partner. For now, you go and get some sleep." Launce stood up and patted her shoulder.

Nhissie went inside her room with unease feeling. She lied on her bed trying to fall asleep but no matter how hard she tried, her mind's full of thought. She has this feeling that Mike and Miss Jinx death are somehow related but she couldn't figure out what the connection is or why were the both of them killed.

"Nhissie, are you asleep?" She heard Launce voice outside her room.

Nhissie stood up and opened the door. "I can't seem to fall asleep, why?"

"Come here, I need to show you something." Launce dragged her in front of the monitor. "Look."

"What is it?" Nhissie furrowed her brows as she stared at the screen.