31: Coping

Split this chapter in half. Didn't trust y'all.🤣

• •

3 weeks later...

Tuesday | 12:52 p.m.
November 12, 2013

Gwendolyn Shafer"Kari, what is it? I really don't wanna be here today

Gwendolyn Shafer
"Kari, what is it? I really don't wanna be here today." I followed along as he pulled me by the hand toward the coffee shop.

I hadn't left my grandmother's house in three weeks unless it was to go to work and to be honest? I was on the verge of quitting that. I guess it was true about old habits dying hard because I found myself hiding from the world once again after everything that had happened three weeks ago. The only difference was that I wasn't hiding because of weight gain but because of what people would say about me almost being prostituted and my grandmother almost marrying a pimp. She'd told me the night before Pastor Willis had turned psycho that he'd proposed to her. It made me even more sick to my stomach at the thought of her marrying someone like that.

"Babe?" I called. He stopped walking and turned around taking both my hands in his. "What are we doing here?" I said softly as I stared up at him.

"Do you trust me?" He asked.

"Of course."

"So then trust me, baby. Okay?" He gently squeezed my hands, holding eye contact with me. I nodded and he smiled. Seconds later he leaned down and pecked my lips before he turned and continued to pull me along until we made our way inside the coffee shop. I'd yet to set foot into this place. They'd opened about 5 months ago and I'd heard that it was a vibe but I hadn't gotten around to checking it out. We found a cozy little table and I was about to pull my chair out but Akari placed his hand on mine and I looked up at him.

"You don't do that when you're with me. You're a lady— my lady." He said. "I've got it."

I stepped out of the way and watched as he pulled my chair out. As I sat down, he pushed my chair up some.

"Thank you," I told him.

"Of course." He placed a kiss on my cheek and walked around the table. I assumed he was going to sit down but when he didn't I grew even more curious about what he was up to. He walked across the shop where a guy was seated with a guitar and microphone. Next to him was another chair and microphone.