9: Brand New (Part 2)

5:15 p.m.

Akari JeffersI sat on the stool in front of my canvas adding the finishing touches to the painting I'd been working on the last 3 days

Akari Jeffers
I sat on the stool in front of my canvas adding the finishing touches to the painting I'd been working on the last 3 days. As I painted I hummed along to Usher's "Climax" that blasted throughout the art room I'd set up in Yasmine's crib. I'd been back into my artwork pretty heavily these last few weeks and I didn't have anywhere to set up at my crib.

We'd only been dating for almost a month so I was hesitant about letting her make a space for me in her crib for me to come paint. My relationship with Celeste had started off nice like this before she'd flipped the switch and started treating me like shit. I didn't want to compare this relationship to my last especially this early in but I was scared shitless. I was scared to fail as a boyfriend in this relationship. I was scared Yasmine would eventually think what I did wasn't good enough.

I was trying to get out of thinking like that and worrying so much so I took a chance and took her up on her offer. Since we'd been together I'd been at her place more than my own and she was excited to have me here. I'd sit in this art room for hours and if she wasn't checking on me every chance she got, she was sitting in here with me watching something on her laptop just to be near me. We talked occasionally but she understood that some days I needed silence when I was really into what I was doing. Today wasn't one of those days because I was almost done with what I'd been working on. I was only adding a second coat of paint.

This song had been stuck in my head since it had been released and I found myself belting out the words when it got to my favorite part.

"You say it's better if we love each other separately!" I closed my eyes and tossed my head back. "I just need you one more time. I can't get what we had off my mind. Where are you now when I need you around?" I hit my chest repeatedly. "I'm on my knees but it seems we're going—"

"Nooowhere fast. We've reached a climax." I felt arms wrap around me as Yasmine sang in my ear before kissing the side of my face. I smiled and put my brush down and she let me go, taking a step back as I stood. I held my arms out and she scrunched up her face. I looked down at my clothes and my hands before chuckling, realizing she wasn't hugging me with paint all over me. I guess she hadn't realized how dirty I was from behind which was why she'd hugged me first. She'd gone shopping with her girls and I'd been sitting in this spot since the moment she'd left.

I'd left work a little early today because I hadn't felt well. Instead of lying around though, I wanted to keep myself occupied and decided to finish this painting for Miss Gwen. It was a surprise and the least I could do to thank her.

I walked across the room and turned the music down before walking back toward her with open arms.

"AK I swear if you get that paint on me.." She drew her fist back and I burst out laughing.

"I can't get a hug?"

"You can get out." She told me and I laughed harder. "Aight." I put my arms down and turned away before turning back around and quickly making my way toward her, wrapping my arms around her.