18: Ain't Too Proud To Beg

Not gon' lie I damn near forgot about y'all. Be sure to vote/comment on this story and the new one. An update is coming for that one.

• •

3 days later...

Saturday | 10:46 a.m.
July 27, 2013

Omniscient"I just can't believe someone as old as him would act like a child and not step up and take care of his responsibilities

Omniscient
"I just can't believe someone as old as him would act like a child and not step up and take care of his responsibilities. Can you believe he has the nerve to ask for a damn DNA test as if his overgrown ass wasn't the one sleeping with my daughter?" Candace's mother Marie vented to Miss Gwen over the phone.

"I'm so sorry to hear that." Miss Gwen said. "I don't understand these young men today. They lay up and make babies and don't want to take responsibility for the children. I feel for Candace. At a time like this, I wish she and GiGi were still friends. They've always had each other's backs."

"I do too but can you blame Candace for not wanting to continue a friendship after what happened? You do know what happened, right?" Marie questioned.

"I do." Miss Gwen responded. She'd learned about the fight from Gwendolyn once they'd gotten back on speaking terms after Miss Gwen had laid hands on her for disrespecting her. She could've jumped all over Gwendolyn for doing what she'd done to Candace but what good would that have done? She listened but she figured that talking to/at Gwendolyn wouldn't change anything. Instead, she decided to let her sit with her regrets so she could take a long hard look at herself and how she'd been treating the people around her who genuinely cared about her and loved her.

It wasn't uncommon for Miss Gwen and Marie to talk on the phone. They'd known each other since Candace and Gwendolyn had first become friends years ago. The girls lived differently but they'd never treated each other bad.

Candace's family weren't rich but they lived well. When she and Gwendolyn had met in ninth grade Gwendolyn was skeptical about being friends with someone like Candace because Gwendolyn's mother Nafessa didn't have much. She was a struggling single mother who turned tricks and worked a full-time job. Yet it still didn't help much. Gwendolyn's grandmother and grandfather always helped the best they could but their daughter never really let on to how bad things really were. The bills couldn't stay paid and the utilities were constantly getting turned off because she'd developed a gambling addiction. She'd suffered from depression throughout Gwendolyn's high school years until she decided to end it all during her senior year.

"It's a crying shame. At a time like this Candace could use a friend. She hangs with some girls from that community college she goes to here and there but I can tell she's only doing that because she doesn't have Gwendolyn around anymore." Marie said.

"I know they probably won't like it but maybe we can all have dinner together tomorrow night. Those two are too stubborn to kiss and make up on their own so maybe if someone else steps in—"