Chapter 21- End of All Things

"What the hell are you doing? What is this?!" Metal bellowed.

Starline waved the device in front of him with a grin. "This is what will keep us from loosing to those buffoons!"

"What are you talking about?"

"We had a few extra chaos drives since giving them to Robotnik. I figured that they'd be perfect for giving our pet a little more firepower!" He grinned wider at metal, a crazed grin that grew bigger and bigger with each word. Words that took a while before it all clicked together in the aliens brain.

"You bumbling IDIOT! You cant overflow him with chaos energy! Are you insane!"

"So?"

"SO! He is already filled with energy from the master emerald! Giving him more would bring wrath unlike any being could ever imagine!"

"Please, like what exactly?"

"Chaos."

Sonic jerked his head back and his screams grew louder, his eyes emitting a bright green light from them, and thick streams of water dripped down his cheeks and mouth. And while shadow wasn't feeling it to the extent of what Sonic was feeling, he still heaved and whined as the pain grew in him more and more. He held his head like it was going to explode into bits.

"Oh. That doesn't seem good..." Starline said.

"Of course it's not! Give me that thing!" Metal lunged for the device in his hands, to which Starline jerked it away.

"And let them win?! Not a chance!"

"DO YOU WANT TO DIE?! BECAUSE THATS GONNA HAPPEN!" Metal shouted and jerked it towards himself.

Starline jerked it back to him. "BETTER DYING THAN LETTING THEM WIN!"

"YOU EGOTISTICAL IDIOT!"

They held onto the device like their lives depended on it, jerking it from side to side like a ferocious and deadly game of tug-o-war. Never ending and neither of them willing to let go.

"We need to get that device away from them!" Silver shouted.

"I don't know. I think Metal is handling it pretty well." Knuckles said, receiving an unpleased look from Silver in return. "Never mind. Just make sure to grab the thing if it flies."

He charged a mighty punch, ripe to strike them as hard as he could, without seriously breaking anything of course. But of course such obvious display of brute force wouldn't go unnoticed, as Starline took one look, and immediately let go and ducked in the opposite direction.

"Finally!" Metal grinned, but knew his fate at the moment he locked eyes with the ferocious red echidna. "Oh, space balls." He muttered, and was struck square in the face, careening down to the ground below. He groaned in pain and held his nose that now dripped with blood, but he still held on tightly to the device that was of great importance. That is until Knuckles simply ripped it from his hand.

"I'll take that, thank you!" He said, tossing it to his other hand then rising it up in the air. "Now to get rid of this damn thing!"

"No! WAIT!" Tails shouted, but knuckles had already threw it to the floor and it shattered on impact. Following was a deadly silence. No yelling or terror coming from Sonic or Shadow either.

"...What?" Knuckles said to finally break the silence.

"I.... I thought that it would... you know... go haywire if it was broken."

"Guess it's not that kind of story." He shrugged, then made his way to Shadow. "Are you okay, dude?" He received a relieved and tired nod in return.

Sonics groans caught their attention. He rubbed his sore yes and held his head that pounded so hard it felt like it was slamming vigorously against the pavement. He wiped the liquid that stopped pouring out of his mouth and eyes, blinking as everything stopped spinning and he could see everything clearly.