Chapter 20- Entrailed Entrailes

"Put that thing down this instant!" Starline commanded. "That emerald is property of G. U. N.! Only members and authorized personnel are to handle it!"

"Really?" Silver said.

"Yes! Now hand it over!"

He floated the emerald from one hand to the other then shrugged. "If you say so!" And he tossed it right into his team's hands.

"Please tell me you didn't think he'd actually give you the emerald just from that?" Metal groaned.

"Oh, shut up!" Barked Starline.

"Well, it looks like we have our own emerald now!" Knuckles said as he tossed it in the air from each palm. "And our own means of taking Sonic from you two!"

"By all means, try it." Metal said.

"Uh what?"

"If you think you can control your friend then be my guest!"

"What the hell are you doing?!" Starline shouted and grabbed his shoulders. Metal only gently pushed Starline away from him.

"Relax. As I said; none of them know how to use chaos energy! They won't be able to control him."

Knuckles looked at the gem in his palm. He tilted it to see the golden sun bounce off of its reflective surface. He hadn't seen this thing since it was taken out of Neo's mech, and boy did it have some heft to it.

"Here Shadow, you do it!" He said, tossing it to the hedgehog who nearly dropped the gem upon receiving it.

"W-What? I barely know how to use my own! I can't simply control an entire person!"

"It's worth a shot, Shadow." Tails said.

Shadow glanced at the emerald that he held gently in his palm, then up at Sonic whom was still awaiting the next command. He looked hollow, ghostly, like a haunted statue. Shadow couldn't lie, the sight made him just a bit nervous.

"Okay." He sighed. He outstretched his hand, and with firm eyes he focused his energy to the giant before him. The emerald glowing bright as a light. So bright that even Metal was beginning to be a little worried about it.

A strained cry came out of Shadow as he kept trying, his friends beside him quietly cheering him on. But the light in the emerald had faded, and Shadow fella to his hands and knees, huffing in exhaustion. His friends beside him to make sure he's alright. A condescending clap caught their attention.

"Wow! That was certainly a great try!" Metal said. "I have to admit, you made me worried for a second there!" He laughed, then brought his emerald forward. "But why don't I show you how it's done."

Sonic stepped towards the group, his arms were limp at his sides and his wide eyes were fixated on them. The group stood ready for whatever was going to happen and Tails was already thinking of a new plan.

Staring up at the giant hedgehog, Shadow couldn't help but feel... annoyed about all of this. The wild goose chase they were forced on, everything continuously going wrong for them, the fact that this is even happening at all, it made him so peeved about it.

"HEY!" He shouted and raised the emerald above him. "I have the emerald! You want it, then come get it!"  Knuckles managed to blurt out a "what?!" Before Shadow boosted in the opposite direction, his new shoes creating a trail of fire as he moved. Metal simply watched Shadow run off, he payed no mind to him and glanced back at the group.

"What are you doing?!" Starline shouted. "He's going to get away with the emerald! Chase after him!"

"Oh would you calm down!" Metal barked back. "Out of everyone, you should know it's no fun to chase after what you want, when you can simply make them surrender it to you!" He gave a maddening grin and Sonics attention went from Shadow, to the group just at his feet.