Chapter 28- Sisters

Start from the beginning

"'Lyss...I-" I don't even know how to respond, I'm completely at a loss for words. "I know." She whispers. "You're angry at me for not talking to you." "No! Well-no!" I cup her face to get her to look at me.

"Alyssa, I honestly just don't know how to respond." She nods and looks at her feet with her eyes, her head still cupped in between my hands. 

"I understand that it's hard but I lost him too, 'Lyss. I needed you, I needed my best friend by my side." She begins to cry again. "I'm not saying that to make you feel bad but...please stop treating me like you hate me." She nods, sobbing. Her arms wrap around my waist and pull me into the tightest hug I've had in years. 

"I just want my sister back." I whisper, resting my chin on her head. "Me too." She whispers, still crying. The hug feels warm, my heart feels like it's beating again and I feel like all the color just came back in the world. I laugh at the tears that had started rolling down my cheeks. "I hate sappy shit." I say, laughing through my tears and breaking the hug. She laughs through her tears as well and says, "I know you do." 

Beth singing catches both of our attention, "So you and Carl?" I ask beginning to walk with her back to the fire. "Ew! Gross. Nuh-uh." She fake gags and shakes her head. I laugh, "Alright then." 

When we make it back to the campfire, everyone looks at us and smiles- slightly or broadly (like Damien). I think everyone noticed the tension between 'Lyss and I more than I thought. 

Alyssa and I sit down next to Damien, Carl scurries over to us and sits next to Alyssa. 

Damien offers me the weed nugget; I shake my head. "I didn't need weed to get my sister back." He smiles and puts it back in his backpack, "Until next time." He whispers. 

Beth stops singing, "Beautiful." Hershel says. 

"We better all turn in." Rick starts. " I'll take watch over there. We got a big day tomorrow." "What do you mean?" Glenn asks, poking at the fire with a stick. 

"Look, I know we're all exhausted. This was a great win. But we've got to push, just a little bit more." He pauses for a moment. "Most of the Walkers are dressed as guards and prisoners. Looks like this place fell pretty early. It could mean the supplies may be intact. They'd have an infirmary, a commissary."

"An armory?" Daryl asks. "That'd be outside the prison itself, but not too far away. Warden's offices would have the info on the location. Weapons, food, medicine. This place could be a gold mine." Rick points to the prison behind us. 

"We're dangerously low on ammo." Hershel points out. "We'd run out before we make a dent." "That's why we have to go in there...hand to hand. After all we've been through, we can handle it, I know it. These assholes don't stand a chance." He tosses a piece of grass into the fire and walks away. 

Alyssa looks at me, "Omg, you totally haven't seen how good I am at killing Walkers yet." "'Omg' I 'totally' haven't." 

In the morning, T-Dog, Damien, Maggie, Glenn, Rick, Daryl, and I all walk up to the gates, ready to fight the Walkers. I've got my dagger and Damien has his nail bat that he never shuts up about. 

"Ready?" Hershel asks, grabbing the gate to pull it open. Everyone nods and he yanks the gate open, T-Dog immediately kills one of the Walkers. 

Everybody runs in, killing walkers quickly. We all stand in a tight circle formation to protect all of us. Everyone remaining bangs on the fence and yells for the Walkers to distract at least some of them. 

"HYAH!" I yell kicking and stabbing a Walker, blood splatters on my neck and hands. Damien grunts as he bashes a Walker's head in with his nail bat. 

"Almost there." Rick says as we pass under a fenced in bridge that connects one side of the prison to the other. He slowly pushes a door open but then looks away and continues walking. He peaks around a corner and quickly backs up against the wall, "Shit!" He whispers. Everyone backs up against the walls as well.