Chapter 26- D(e)ad

Start from the beginning

Dad.

"We have to find my dad." I plead. "We will." Daryl says, putting a hand on my shoulder. 

"No! 'Will' means in the future! We have to find him now!" "Adrian!" Glenn turns me to face him and puts both of his hands on my shoulders, "He'll turn up. He always does." I nod shakily, my breath heavy and ragged. 

Andrea comes running out with the bag of guns and sets it on the floor of the porch. When she opens it, I grab my dagger and a machine gun. My pistol has been holstered in my pants for the past few days already. 

"I got the number- this is no use." Daryl says. 

"You can go if you want." Hershel says, cocking his shotgun. "You gonna take 'em all on?" Daryl asks. 

"We have guns. We have cars." Hershel says. "Kill as many as we can." Andrea looks up at Hershel. "And we'll use the cars to lead the rest of 'em off the farm." 

"Are you serious?" Daryl asks. "This is my farm. I'll die here." Hershel puts the shotgun on his shoulder and looks out at the Walkers, breathing deeply. 

"All right. It's as good a night as any." Daryl jumps over the railing of the porch. 

I grab an extra pistol and shotgun and run inside to Alyssa who is pacing the room, Damien is trying to calm her down. I hand Alyssa the pistol and Damien the shotgun. "You stay with Damien or me." I tell Alyssa. "Do not leave our sight, alright? We'll find dad. We ain't leavin' here without 'im." I assure her. 

She nods vigorously and grabs the pistol. "I don't-" "You'll figure out in a second. Pull the trigger, shoot. Boom, one Walker dead." I say without looking at her, quickly reloading my machine gun. 

"We still don't know where your dad is?" Damien asks. "No, but we'll see him soon." Alyssa answers. "Yeah," I look at her. "Yeah, we will." I give Alyssa a half smile and stand up, squeezing her shoulder lightly. 

"All right, let's go. We need a car." I say, grabbing her hand and my "run backpack" and leading her quickly out of the house. 

I send Damien and Alyssa with Glenn and Maggie; I go with Jimmy in the R.V. 

"You ready?" He asks me, starting the R.V. "No-" I cock my machine gun and look at him. "Let's do it." He smirks and nods, accelerating the R.V as quickly as it will go. 

I begin to fire my machine gun out the window, the sound of it causing my ears to ring. 

Be careful of dad, don't shoot him.

Jimmy pants as he drives the R.V, his hands shaking slightly.

He parks the R.V in front of the burning shed. 

"What the-" He mumbles, shooting his gun out the driver's side window. 

Smoke burns my eyes slightly and the smell of burning flesh fills the air, though for some reason it doesn't faze me. I don't know where anyone else is, but I'm trusting Glenn, Maggie, and Damien to keep Alyssa safe. They're gonna wish they kept her safe if I find her dead. I reach into my backpack and grab another cartridge of ammo and put it in the machine gun. 

Daryl drives his motorcycle up to Jimmy's window. "Must've been Rick or Shane who started that fire!" He yells, "Maybe they're trying to get out back! Why don't you circle 'round? Go!" "Got it!" Jimmy yells starting the R.V up again and driving full speed towards the shed. 

"You okay?" He asks, noticing my heavy breathing. "Don't worry 'bout me. Worry 'bout everyone else." I fire my pistol out of the window, trying to save machine gun bullets until I really need them.