Chapter 23: Kung Food & Nian Yang Xiao

In The Dupain-Cheng family living room, it's has finally come that your cousin and you're mom's uncle, Wang Cheng, to arrive.  

Wang is Chinese, so Marinette uses an app on her phone which helps her with the pronunciation.

She has a bouquet of flowers for him but worries that it might not be good enough. It is revealed that Wang is a cook with a global reputation and is in Paris for a cooking competition called "The World's Greatest Chef."

Not only that, but your  uncle and Yang will be on a great food show on TV.

"Can't you just talk normally like all English people do?" you ask not really to her.

"This night has to be perfect and I can't have you telling me! You'll see, (Y/N)! With this app, I'll be just fine!" Marinette spoke more pacifically to to herself than anybody expect you in the living room.

"Uh-huh, well spoke you're ladyship, you could just nod and wave and probably need a real translator other than relying on technology. Or better yet, you can study a Chinese character class. How to write Chinese profession." you imply.

"Old books sucks. Website can do anything ! See watch this." Marinette taps the record button on her translator. "Welcome to my home, My name is Marinette."

(Translator App)  "(欢迎来到我的家,我的名字叫马里内特。)"

(Huānyíng lái dào wǒ de jiā, wǒ de míngzì shì mǎlì nèi tè.)

"Huayang li do wo de jia, wo de mingzi shi maly net ti." Marinette poorly  translate.

"I'm telling you Marinette, you really need help with Cantonese, unless you're serve a mission and go to Hong Kong." you cross you're arms.

"I'd like to see you do better." Marinette glares at you.

You glare back. "Fine then, nǐhǎo huānyíng láidào wǒmen dejiā , zhè shìwǒde dàjiějiě mǎlì nèitè" you translated perfectly.

"That's not what the app said." Marinette raises an eyebrow.

"Well I am half Chinese American person. The only thing I said kindly to the guest is 'Hello welcome to our home, this is my big sister Marinette." you huff. "It makes perfect sense since we should introduce both of us. Beside not only that...Yang is coming too."

"I hate that you were raised to be perfect." Marinette whines and scoffs.

"Well excuse you!" You shot back. "Not everyone can be perfect. You just study hard and pass. You know what, try translating again."

"Fine I will! H-Huānyíng lái dào wǒ de jiā, w-wǒ de míngzì shì mǎlì nèi tè." Marinette stutters out, but eventually gets it right.

"Almost got it." you start reading a comic book not even looking at the girl who raggedly glares.

"SO did you prepare the purple flowers?"

"I thought you did since you're the one Mom ask you. I only brought hibiscus." you showed her the red flower of  hibiscus.

"Ugly." she dislikes.

"They are not ugly! Both flowers are fine and good enough to eat!" you barked.

"But it can't be just fine! It has to be perfect!" Marinette stresses. "Mom's uncle is a famous Chinese chef, he's very particular, so things have got to be just right!"

Marinette wasn't able to say anything else because the sharp sound of the doorbell cuts through the room.