48 | R E A S O N

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm golden glow over the sky

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm golden glow over the sky. In the midst of a seemingly calm day, there was a boy. Sat in the middle of the field, his fingers lacing around the strands of grass beside him, exposing his true emotions of anger and frustration from his own actions. Staring off into the distance deep in thought not noticing the presence of the couple behind him.

A women stood there, her hands tenderly cradling her growing belly. With each stroke of her fingertips, a surge of love coursed through her veins. Looking at the poor boy she shakes her head, wishing there was something she could do for him. With an idea in her mind, she turns towards her husband with an innocent smile.

Feeling the weight of his beautiful mate's gaze upon him, curious as to what she was doing he looks down and raises an eyebrow in question. "Yes, love." His British accent coming through strong as he spoke.

"You know how you love me..." She trails off with a grin. With her arms encircling his lower waist, she leans her head on his chest. Her eyes brimming with adoration for her husband.

"No." The man's eyes widen with fear at her words, and vigorously shaking his head "Not again." He declares.

With a pout, the woman huffs "You didn't let me finish."  Unwrapping her arms from her husband's waist.

"Darling." The man sighs gently pulling his girl back into his arms. "Every time you start a sentence with those words, you end up using me as a model for something." He groans out.

Honestly, he didn't mind when she would ask for his help, he cherished every moment he spent with his girl. He didn't care if he hated what she had planned but in the end, it was more alone time with his wife, which he would never say no to.

However, a part of him still remained wary of the thought of his past catching up to him. If any enemies were to witness him with different makeup products covering his face or cucumbers on his eyes while he received a massage. They could see him as weak and vulnerable and possibly tried to attack, which he desperately wished to avoid.

"Oh hush," The woman rolls her eyes, finding her husband's behavior amusing. Clearing out a village full of feral vampires was easy for him yet the mere thought of having his eyebrows plucked seemed to scare him.

"You'll always be the big bad wolf to me. Nik" She states kissing his cheek, allowing the depth of her love and affection for him to flow through the kiss.

"Good" He growls out tightening his grip on her waist "Because title or not you'll always be my Queen. Evie"

It was true, her title didn't change anything for him. Over the years she has worked too hard to maintain the alliances, trying to stop them from breaking. She never gave up, not once, and didn't even ask for help either. Her passion, determination, and strength were truly remarkable. It still amazed him how lucky he was to be given such a perfect mate.