Love and Pain

EIGHT YEARS LATER

Twenty-six-year-old Kali was in her fourth and final year of college. It had taken four years after graduating high school to get her caught up academically so she could start applying. Then the application process was a bit more difficult because she had only gone to school for her second semester of senior year. It took a lot of explaining and being given placement tests before she was finally enrolled in university. She was four years older than most of her classmates, but she didn't care. Enid and the others had already graduated college the school year before Kali enrolled.

Speaking of Enid, Kali and her got (officially) married over the summer after Enid's graduation and before Kali began her first year. It was an all out wedding, courtesy of Kali's family who all came (extended and all). The Addams sure know how to throw a party. Enid's family was there too, though her mother clearly didn't want to be. In the end, Kali and Enid decided to hyphen their last names; Kali Sinclair-Addams. Wednesday had wanted them to go alphabetically, but it just didn't flow as nice. All in all it was a beautiful day.

And now Kali was sitting in her last lecture of the day, head dropping as she began to nod off, just waiting for the torture to end. She just wanted to get home to her very pregnant wife. Yes, Enid was pregnant. After Kali worked through all her trauma, the topic of kids came up again. This time, Kali did want to have a kid. Only one though. Anymore than that and she was afraid it might remind her of the organization. Just because she had worked through her trauma, didn't mean it was suddenly gone. Now she just knew her triggers and how to deal with them. Thank you Tim.

But when they decided to have a kid, they went to Wednesday for help. Wednesday brewed Kali a potion that would give her male reproductive organs for a few hours. She only needed to take a sip of the potion, so the potion itself would last for a while. In the end, they had succeeded and now had a child on the way. They decided not to know the gender though. A little surprise never hurt anyone. Well, except for maybe Wednesday's sanity. For the life of her she couldn't comprehend why they wouldn't want to know. Though unfortunately for her, showing her annoyance just made the couple double down on not wanting to know just to mess with her. However, the joke was them when Wednesday hacked into the hospital system and found out the gender for herself. Now she was the only person who knew, though she was merciful enough not to tell them.

"Hey, you good?" Nathan leaned over and whispered.

Nathan was one of her friends, and one of the older students at twenty seven. All the older students in their classes, four years and up, were friends with each other. She hung out with them on campus and outside of it too. They had a group chat for the twelve of them. Though she was only actually close to Nathan. Which is why he got to meet all her other friends. And as luck would have it, him and Bianca hit it off. They've been dating for a year now.

Kali rubbed her tired eyes. "Yeah, just tired."

He wiggled his eyebrows. "Stay up late?"

Kali gave him an 'are you serious' look. "Enid is nine months pregnant. You know that."

He shrugged and twirled his pencil between his fingers. "Some people got a pregnancy kink. I ain't knocking' it."

She rolled her eyes. "Well not me." She shook her head. "The stress about the baby coming just made it hard to sleep. What if I'm a terrible mom?"

Nathan waved her off. "Come on, that'd be impossible."

"Need I remind you that I never even had a mom for almost eighteen years."

"You have a mom now though. And I've heard you were great with Pubert while he was growing up."

"Because I know how to be a big sister. I don't know how to be a mom."